1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Razerwire

Razerwire And then there was X...

There's no way to take them apart right?

I've heard that Oakley has some type of machine that removes the two posts that hold the flex coupler together. Is this true?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. ucdavis4PT0gpa

ucdavis4PT0gpa THE BEST IS YET TO COME

I have heard stories of people DIY it at home...some kind of drilling or something, but no, as far as I know the company has a customized device that performs it. I'm sure if there IS a way, someone here will know.

Its aggravating because I have deliberately cut down on inclusion of "tune up needed" x metals, NOT buying an XX, selling another. I was going back and forth on the 24K Juliet and XS, which to get, and there were several reasons I went with the XS, but the fact its flex coupler is likely more durable and self servicable long term was serious consideration. Right now I have 2 Juliets, 2 XS, a Romeo 2 and I'm considering unloading the Romeo 2 as much as I like it for a Romeo 1 because long term its easier (and cheaper) to replace stress fracture lenses on the 1 than get the 2 tuned.

3. dcl10

dcl10 Oakley Beginner

It's possible to punch them out yourself, you just need to apply enough force. Of course you risk seriously damaging the frame without the proper equipment.

4. Razerwire

Is each post two pieces which connect in the middle? Or is each post one entire piece of metal and is somehow inserted into the coupler?

5. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

Single post from front to back..

6. Razerwire

So since the back is flat and flush with the coupler, do they punch the thing through from the back? If so how do they manage to not scratch up the rounded front part of the post?

7. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

From front to back then the back is pressed flat.... Did you chk your PM?

8. Razerwire

I didn't get a PM. LOL

9. reignsealtiel

reignsealtiel Oakley Beginner

O got a customized press machine to remove the pin that holds the flex coupler together. Pressing the pin from front to back and back to front to installed it back. I heard some guy uses jewelry grade watch band pin remover and rubber hammer with big chances of deforming the frame. Be careful with the drill this will damage the pin and uncontrollable to use. Why take chances, just take it to OStore for refitting and everybody's happy. The original unobtainium flex coupler color is grey and no other color, I know everybody here knows this, just happy to share :dance3:

10. ucdavis4PT0gpa

ucdavis4PT0gpa THE BEST IS YET TO COME

If its loose just squeeze some JB Weld in there and fuse the coupler then you don't have to worry.