• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fmj On Oakley!!!!!!!

I have the diamond dial minute machine and I love the thing but that was just about the max I would pay for a watch. We will see, things could change

the price has to do with the number of jewels. The Minute Machine has 13 jewels. The FMJ has 25 so that is part of the reason for the price. Also I believe there are only a hundred being made from movements that have been in the Oakley inventory for a long time. I heard Jim Jannard purchased them some time ago and until now could not come up with the correct design.

Actually the number of jewels in a movement you mention does not make a difference in price. Those "jewels" are synthetic and are used mainly to defend against friction. They literally cost pennies per jewel. The reason the Minute Machine has less jewels in the movement is because it is a quartz watch while the FMJ is an automatic. Automatics need more jewels because they have a lot more moving parts and incur more friction as a result. The Timebomb 2 also has 25 jewels.

The FMJ houses a Valjoux 7750 movement. The movement itself was created in the 1970's and modified over time. The Valjoux 7750 movement in the FMJ was sourced from the Swatch Group/ETA who provide the whole movement lock, stock and barrel for a price. The movement has been used for years from the lowest entry luxury brand to some of the most well regarded. Back in the late 1990's and early 2000's, a lot of well known companies such as Brietling, IWC and Omega used the 7750 in its chronograph watches. They would heavily modify it inhouse to meet their own specifications and this is one of many reaons why some watches cost so much compared to other watches that used the same movement but did very little work to it. More and more companies are starting to move away from the 7750 because too many generic brands are using it and also because inhouse developed movements are seen as more prestigious than outsourced ones. It is also because of Swatch Group's recent business policy of not selling ebauches which are movement kits. They rather sell complete movements instead like the ones Oakley purchased from them.

The movement the FMJ has is a COSC-speced one which contributes to the price as does the impact titanium casing, pocket watch attachment novelty and the Elite series markup

Hey guys,
Just a heads up to anyone interested in seeing the FMJ or the Hollowpoint. They will both be in the San Francisco Ostore 842 market street San Francisco Ca 94102. tomorrow 8/18. the event is from 7-9pm. stop bye and check it out if your in the area it is awesome to see in person. Rumor has there might be goodies bags if u show up around 7 and there will be appetizers.

Actually the number of jewels in a movement you mention does not make a difference in price. Those "jewels" are synthetic and are used mainly to defend against friction. They literally cost pennies per jewel. The reason the Minute Machine has less jewels in the movement is because it is a quartz watch while the FMJ is an automatic. Automatics need more jewels because they have a lot more moving parts and incur more friction as a result. The Timebomb 2 also has 25 jewels.

The FMJ houses a Valjoux 7750 movement. The movement itself was created in the 1970's and modified over time. The Valjoux 7750 movement in the FMJ was sourced from the Swatch Group/ETA who provide the whole movement lock, stock and barrel for a price. The movement has been used for years from the lowest entry luxury brand to some of the most well regarded. Back in the late 1990's and early 2000's, a lot of well known companies such as Brietling, IWC and Omega used the 7750 in its chronograph watches. They would heavily modify it inhouse to meet their own specifications and this is one of many reaons why some watches cost so much compared to other watches that used the same movement but did very little work to it. More and more companies are starting to move away from the 7750 because too many generic brands are using it and also because inhouse developed movements are seen as more prestigious than outsourced ones. It is also because of Swatch Group's recent business policy of not selling ebauches which are movement kits. They rather sell complete movements instead like the ones Oakley purchased from them.

The movement the FMJ has is a COSC-speced one which contributes to the price as does the impact titanium casing, pocket watch attachment novelty and the Elite series markup
thank yo for the info man, it helps explan alot cheers

my most expensive watch is retail $400 and i got a 40% discount from that...its also my one of 3 watches..no need for a watch as much as frogskins :cool:

Why do those hyperlinks never work for me? Maybe it's because my location is set as Canada and it keeps redirecting me there.

Yeah they never work for me either. I am always just redirected to the Canadian Oakley website..

Back