• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

For Dignified Badassery

Ancientmachine

Oakley Beginner
Hey everyone. I'm trying to trim down my Oakley collection, which means I should buy a couple more, right? :) I got a pair of Tincans to cover my everyday, classy, professional, casual, fashionable base.

What I'm looking for now is a pair for sport: shooting, running, with a hat, camping, working out outside, on the water types of things while still looking good enough to wear casually, out to lunch, on a date, whatever. This, to my mind, means no flashy colors or super aggressive designs. Nothing that looks specifically "sporty" but is still secure enough to my head and resistant to scratches and bumps and even being thrown in a pocket.

Not sure if this exists... what say?

My current loadout is a pair of the first Juliets J######, a pair of convicts I've worn like once, transition Crosshairs, Crosshair 2.0, Tincan... maybe another pair I'm forgetting.

I almost want to say a pair of the cerakoted fuel cells might be my best bet, even though they have a more sporty, less classy look. The muted color really helps in this regard.

Once again i must admit that as a everyday'n every way you cannot beat a Monster Dog although a Pit Boss 1 in Rootbeer does come close ....

Understood guys, thanks for the recommendations! I may go with a pair of racing jackets since they seem to be the most secure and customizable. If i have to get a sport pair, I think it might be those.

I responded before from my phone, I wanted to give you a more in-depth answer.

All of the activities you listed (shooting, running, with a hat, camping, working out outside, on the water types of things) point directly at a sports frame. Lighter, more rubber contact, more peripheral coverage, etc. You've got several wire and metal frames for casual wear, classy looks, date night type stuff. I'm not sure why you'd want to be able to shoehorn a pair into being able to perform for physical activity as well as look good for a funeral.

For the record, I'll wear a pair of M Frames anywhere. Weddings, funerals, dates, black tie events, shooting range, biking, hiking, etc.

But I'm also of the opinion that you're wearing a tool, or accessory. It can't fundamentally change who you are. If people look at you differently because you've got a certain pair of shades on, well poo poo on them. Wear what works best for you.

Some days I like wearing a pair of Crosshairs. They're comfy, casual, with a touch of attitude. But they have gaps in coverage and I tend to be a bit gentle with them. Other days I'm out chopping wood and I'm going to be sweaty, the glasses are going to be sweaty, I'm going to pull them off my face and toss them in the grass. They'll get hit with wood flying around, or a branch/twig in the woods. I'm throwing on some M Frame 3.0 with anti-fog. But I'll get home, shower, and head out to dinner and I can happily change back to the Crosshairs.

So in short, there's no need to limit a performance pair by how it looks on you. Check for coverage, lens options, fit, comfort above all else. For me, nothing fits as good as an M Frame. Sure, they're not the most attractive shades, but they are (and I will and have argued this point) the best performing, functional glasses Oakley makes.

Hey everyone. I'm trying to trim down my Oakley collection, which means I should buy a couple more, right? :) I got a pair of Tincans to cover my everyday, classy, professional, casual, fashionable base.

What I'm looking for now is a pair for sport: shooting, running, with a hat, camping, working out outside, on the water types of things while still looking good enough to wear casually, out to lunch, on a date, whatever. This, to my mind, means no flashy colors or super aggressive designs. Nothing that looks specifically "sporty" but is still secure enough to my head and resistant to scratches and bumps and even being thrown in a pocket.

Not sure if this exists... what say?

My current loadout is a pair of the first Juliets J######, a pair of convicts I've worn like once, transition Crosshairs, Crosshair 2.0, Tincan... maybe another pair I'm forgetting.

I almost want to say a pair of the cerakoted fuel cells might be my best bet, even though they have a more sporty, less classy look. The muted color really helps in this regard.

Hmm maybe a matte black Valve (new version)? The Valve is sort of sporty looking with the rubber pieces but still has a bit of a lifestyle look to it and I think the matte black will show scratches less when you throw them in your pocket and what-not and will also be more muted which was something I know you were looking for. Also, it doesn't look "specifically sporty" while doing a decent job covering all those activities you like.

I agree in that I'm wearing a tool. The performance is more important to me than looks, I was just trying to see if I could address all those performance points AND have more subtle design. I prefer to have as little gear as possible, which includes having gear in my loadout that serves several purposes at once - nothing too specifically designed that can only fit one roll. That being said, in this case, that weak piece of gear is my Tincans haha. I've also worn my Crosshairs for lots of outdoor activities, as well as my Juliets. I'll look for a more functional pair that suits my needs, knowing that I won't get the aesthetic appeal I'm looking for. Thanks for the input.

Hey the Valves do look pretty good for my purposes too. I'll have to head to the shop this weekend and try some gear on.

I used black/silver Jawbones as my versatile pair, "monotone colors" so they're not too loud. With non-vented BI lenses it makes for a much toned-down look, but those are actually getting rare now. Since I'm stuck job hunting right now, I'm putting my black/red Jawbones with +Red lenses to work. Lenses got a few light scratches, so nice to know it was on those instead of the non-vented lenses.

The Radarlock is my cycling pair. Prefer its longer hammer stems, absence of frame below the lenses. I do see the argument that M-Frames or M2's are actually better as dedicated sport pairs if they fit, because they have much more lens shape options.

Looks like the Straight Jacket is still on O-Custom. I'd rock the shadow camo even as a casual pair.

Latest Posts

Back