• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

For The People That Know Goggles - Sizing?

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
Hello all. I live in Michigan, where we tend to get some snow. This season has been particularly barren, but on the one weekend we actually had some snow and I was outside I realized that having a pair of goggles for using with the snow blower and other outdoor activities may be a good option to have.

The only problem is I know next to nothing about goggles.

The only pair I've had was a set of Oakley Wisdom I bought on closeout a few years ago. I was told they were BIG and good for a man of my... bigness of face. Trouble was the nose was tight and it felt like I was looking through a box on my face. I don't know if this is supposed to be how goggles fit, or if they genuinely didn't fit and wrap around toward the temples enough.

I sold them off a few years ago since I never really felt comfortable with them on my face. Here they are with my XX and MFrames circa '06-'07. You can see they're really not all that much bigger than the M Frames and they're a solid 1" or more thick. Plus the argyle strap was ugly.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/rustpot/IMG_0663.jpg

So does Oakley offer anything mammoth in size? I'm not looking to drop serious coin right now, but if there's a model that fits quite a lot larger I would like to know for future considerations if it is perhaps put on the vault or I stumble on a deal. Even if you snow-bound peoples know of another brand that is indeed a truly large goggle I would like to know. Hell, they don't even need to be snow-specific I don't think.

Thanks.

Hi Rustpot,

I'm a pretty big guy myself and have been using A-Frames, Wisdom, Crowbars and Splice Goggles. A-Frames and Wisdoms are way to small for me but Crowbars was step in the right direction. Currently I am using Splice goggles which are the biggest goggle Oakley makes at the moment. It has definately solved the problems I had with the other models concerning size. Furthermore the nosepiece is redesigned on the Splice which gives better room for larger noses.

Next season (this fall) Oakley will release a new goggle called "Canopy" which will feature a giant field of vision, an oversize frame and a feature that lets the nosepiece work more or less like one of those nasal "breath-right"-strips, which will be a win for us bigger people.

seeming as you probably won't use goggles for skiing (mate you will). You will want to look for a splice. Its the biggest that Oakley has to offer at a low price point.

The only other one I would suggest it the Airbrake but I'm not sure you'll be will to spend 260 on a goggle that you will use from time to time.

Splice are $105 on the Vault in a couple of ugly colors. I'll likely have to try and find some on closeout in the summer months, or wait and see if the frame is replaced.

Mikkelf, how would you compare the Splice to the Wisdom? Taller, wider, etc. What issues did you have before concerning size?

Much appreciated.

IMO the Splice is both wider and taller and has a better field of vision than the Wisdom. It altso fits helmets a lot better than the Wisdom if you use helmets. My issues with the Wisdom was that I felt it being to narrow....much like your experience.

Back