• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Found a copper man

No issues with flex from putting lenses in, but Plating on a Polished surface will not hold. So to reiterate, It doesn't matter what finish the frames are to start, the will be refinished to raw metal prior to plating.

Id think an etched or blasted finish would work as a good mechanical bond.but the finish would be more dull if not polished.

Question, does the copper plating change the mobility/flexibility of the orbitals while trying to install lenses? I mean, if you try to put in new lenses the plating wouldn't crack if the orbital was manipulated right?

I have plated many frames and never had an issue. But I also use a serious clear on them and bake em too. Nope no issue. You should not have to spread the orbital that far to install a lens anyway.

The copper is polished immediately after plating. It didn't matter if the frame was polished or if it was blasted, the plating finish was consistent and required a very fine polish to luster. You are correct though the mechanical bond of the plating is thinner and less secure on a polished finish.

The copper is polished immediately after plating. It didn't matter if the frame was polished or if it was blasted, the plating finish was consistent and required a very fine polish to luster. You are correct though the mechanical bond of the plating is thinner and less secure on a polished finish.

I totally agree. I stripped a hammerstem juliet before hand as I was advised that it was best to do that.

first set for another member....
IMG_1021.JPG
IMG_6720.jpeg
IMG_1854.jpeg
IMG_5768.jpeg
IMG_7605.jpeg
IMG_6719.jpeg

Excellent Job! Sign me up for a Juliet.
Have you tried color plating? I think that would open up a whole new set of possibilities.

No problem man, this was an interesting learning experience for me. I wouldn't have thought about trying it, without you suggesting it. Please write an 100% honest review. I am not a professional in this field, and find it hard to critique my own work correctly.

For others wanting to have this done as well. I still have not decided on a price. My intention is to have the first two sets done for members reviewed, and then have them give me a suggestion on what they value the quality of work at. All in all, the complete process takes 5-6 hours.

I will break it down so others can understand-

Prep work: This is about an hour and, and i have to use facilities at work to adequately prep. (This includes the dissemble of the frame.)

Plating: This is obviously the most challenging part of the process. This can take up to an hour per frame piece. Currently each piece is done individually, they are plated, and hand polished at a minimum of 4 times prior to painting. The reason for this is to ensure a complete coverage of the copper on the frame.

Painting: I have found that a Satin clear is the optimal clear for these. I put 3 LIGHT coats of clear on each piece. Between each coat I hand wet sand the part.

Back