• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Found my WHY 3's!!! PLEEZ HALP!!! WARNING: Graphic images that will make you cry!!!

A couple things.

First off those look to be screw-mounted lenses, which from what I know about prescription glasses (The SO used to work as a lens crafters technician back in college) are not easy to replace yourself. so even if you can get new lenses cut, physically replacing them yourself would probably be quite hard without the proper equipment.

I would say your best bet is to go to your local glasses (not sunglasses) store and see if they can help you out. I'd assume you would need their machinery to replace the lenses anyway, so you may as well see if they could cut you a new set of lenses.

A couple things.

First off those look to be screw-mounted lenses, which from what I know about prescription glasses (The SO used to work as a lens crafters technician back in college) are not easy to replace yourself. so even if you can get new lenses cut, physically replacing them yourself would probably be quite hard without the proper equipment.

I would say your best bet is to go to your local glasses (not sunglasses) store and see if they can help you out. I'd assume you would need their machinery to replace the lenses anyway, so you may as well see if they could cut you a new set of lenses.
Yeah a classmate of mine worked for a glasses chain and for a report took us in the back room and showed us how she made lenses (its tragically very easy as long as you have someone diagnosing the prescription, which is the hard part) so maybe ill track her down again. Oakley still makes the Why series so I was just gonna go to the store for them to install it. It's not that hard. There's a spreading anchor you put in the glasses first and the screw causes it to spread out gripping the glass. I wish I there was actually a pair of Oakleys I wanted but didn't have that I could trade these for. I wanted them for the X-Metal and not for the wire frame. Tho I haven't looked at the Why series in a while.

I have this pair...
The Oakley Review - Catalogue Listing

And although I wear Rx glasses I had someone at a local shop put in aftermarket black polarized lenses instead of Rx, got them for my wedding to match the tux. So I know that it can be done... although with them being polarized I'm surprised they have lasted 10+years with only minor cracking around the screws.

I have this pair...
The Oakley Review - Catalogue Listing

And although I wear Rx glasses I had someone at a local shop put in aftermarket black polarized lenses instead of Rx, got them for my wedding to match the tux. So I know that it can be done... although with them being polarized I'm surprised they have lasted 10+years with only minor cracking around the screws.
Yeah, i'm gonna try that. It makes sense cuz there are places near my house that advertise that they make Oakley lenses, or at least sell them, but I'm pretty sure they make them on the spot like all the rest of their lenses because they advertise "ready in minutes" and I'm pretty sure they don't have one of every Rx in the back. Maybe I can get some crazy lenses like transitions despite not being Rx so I can wear them all the time. My gf likes me in glasses for some reason.

I have the Why 8.1 with the Ice lens for about 3 or so years and they are still perfect....Gonna have DR. Chop cut me some Ice polarized for them.
How much is Dr. Chop? I finally found someone here who would make lenses for me, but they said it'd be $325...the glasses are only $375.

Back