• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Frame Deterioration Due To Lens Changing Question

Scrivah

Oakley Beginner
Hey guys,

Got a slick new pair of Batwolf glasses! Got a really simple question for you guys. Just curious if changing out my lenses on a regular basis will cause any type of frame deterioration in the long run. I would like to buy a few different lenses for various types of weather/lighting conditions. I would say max lens changes would be about 2 per day on average. I guess my main concern would be the rounding out of the areas that hold the lens to the frame, therefor making the lens loose. Its my first pair of Oakleys so hopefully someone knows the answer!

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Got a slick new pair of Batwolf glasses! Got a really simple question for you guys. Just curious if changing out my lenses on a regular basis will cause any type of frame deterioration in the long run. I would like to buy a few different lenses for various types of weather/lighting conditions. I would say max lens changes would be about 2 per day on average. I guess my main concern would be the rounding out of the areas that hold the lens to the frame, therefor making the lens loose. Its my first pair of Oakleys so hopefully someone knows the answer!

Thanks!

They way they snap in and out I dont see it being a problem over time. That might be a good question for Oakley Customer Service though. They might hook you up if it happens but I pop my lenses out on my Mframes, Batwolf, and Antix every few weeks to clean them and havent noticed it getting any easier to pop them in and out.

Well I am pretty sure Oakley will just tell you that they don't recommend changing the lenses in a lifestyle frame on a regular basis as they were not designed for it. Personally, I use a pair of glasses like radars or the new racing jackets to adjust for changing light conditions as they were intended to do as such. And maybe if you are super concerned about frame wear, grab another frame (just the frame with no lenses) off of ebay to keep as a spare or to keep a specific lens type in so you don't have to change as often. There is no shame in owning more than one pair!

That frame was never built to change lens on a regular basis, so over time you stretch it and you will probably notice the lens fitting looser over time.

I used to do that on my racing jackets (the old ones), and the lenses fit a little loose now. When training twice a day, i would use a clear lens during the morning, and switch to a regular one later on in the day. That frame was not designed for frequent lens changes. Once every week or so it probably fine, but more than that and i would be cautious.

Thanks guys appreciate it! Everything everyone said makes sense, So I will look into a pair that is designed to have the lenses changed frequently! I do need a sport pair for mountainbiking however they all seem to sit really high on my nose. So far the batwolfs seem to be the only pair that have a really good fit on my face

Back