• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Frequent lens swapping

erap

I should Work at Oakley
Hi guys i currently have only one juliet plasma emerald but plan on getting ice and IH lens to swap on a weekly rotation on this single frame alone.

Anyone tried doing this on a weekly basis and what are its effects on the rubbers, screws and frame as a whole? I already have the proper tools.

Thanks in advance and HAGWE!

As long as the lenses all fit well and you do not need to over tighten to get them snug you should be fine. Same with the rubbers - as long as you are not over tightening them you'll be fine. For pairs with frequent swaps a bit of anti-seize lubricant may be a good idea. Also have a few extra screws onhand as you will want to replace them if they begin to wear.

Happy Friday :)

The first thing I did when I got a pair of xmetals was buy T6 screws from @Infinite Hero. He'll sell them to you far cheaper than you'll be able to find them any place else.

The main reason for this is how easy some of the OEM screw heads strip out. That becomes an even bigger concern when swapping lenses regularly.

Always make sure you are threading into the hole properly before tightening it down to avoid cross threading the screws. I'd also recommend changing the lenses over a table rather than a carpeted surface to reduce the chance that you lose an orbital gasket when you drop it.

Or buy my carbon/IH custom and that saves one from swapping. Lenses will deteriorate on the outside edges of iridium peeling and rubbers will get worn down

Aside from what's already been said, I have had a set of orbital gaskets shatter - they had become brittle with age. Not a likely scenario, but a possibility.

But in your OP you asked about the frame as well and it should be fine.

Personally, though, I'm with Carrera1963; pick up a couple of more frames and save yourself the hassle...

Only thing I'll add...is to be mindful of not warping the orbitals. I recall InfiniteHero a while back in a post cautioning being too forceful in the constant swapping of lenses. The orbitals will get warped. Mind you that's probably from his personal experience of test fitting every cut he has made. But, using the same lenses, of which you know how they fit, and them fitting to size will mitigate those issues.

I advise, get a second frame. A $250ish investment would not only save you time.... but prevent breaking screws off in the orbital, stripping, adding wear to gaskets, scratches that may occur with installations, peeling/scratching the iridium coating on the edges of the lenses... Plus you'll have another pair of glasses and SAVE money with future maintenance costs....like a car.

For all those reasons I would invest in another frame and/or not do excessive swaps.

Wear and tear is going to naturally happen....and I realize I may not be adding too much new here, but from Personal experience...Many years ago I would use my shirt to clean...do many lens swaps, put the glasses in my pocket, around my neck, sit on them...

Now, my glasses have a strict user policy. It would seem that most people here are very protective, cautious and overbearing on the care of their metals as I am presently...

Flex Coupler (use quality rubber and service & put on/take off over the head)
Frame Finish (never sitting the frame down. Put in a case or on a stand)
Lenses (in a case or on the face, only speciality cleaner and never rub the lenses)
Rubbers (keep em' clean and don't stretch them out)

...having responded earlier and read other responses since I think the biggest risk was touched on in the last post: take care not to loosen the nose when swapping the lenses. i have seen folks do this, including Oakley employees in stores, and it is not pretty. If you can swap a lens while only holding the hosting orbital you'll probably be fine. If not, you'll be in need of a tune up prior to the rubbers and anything else on the frame needing attention. That will hurt more the fewer pairs you have unless you can do the tune up work yourself...

Latest Posts

Back