• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Frequent Swapping Of Flak Lenses?

pistolpetefan23

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Does anyone here frequently swap out Flak Jacket lenses? I picked up a set recently and have been wanting to do something in HI Yellow to help with night driving issues I've been having. Was hoping to avoid devoting a pair of glasses, especially as cool as Flak's, for just that, so considered doing a regular lens normally but on occasion using the HI Yellow at night. Is there risk of hurting the frames or lens tabs with frequent swaps, or doing damage from wear associated with switching? Thanks.

I swapped mine regularly between Ice and OO Red. Now I have a second frame so no longer need to. The second frame was bought used on eBay and it definitely isnt as tight and on occasion the lenses have popped out when I've been taking the frames off.

So to answer your question yes frequent lens changing will weaken a frame.

Done in moderation, you shouldn't have any issues; the Flak was made for easy lens swapping after all. The main issue I could see occurring would be wear to the little tabs on the lenses. I have experienced a bit of that on my Half Jackets, but never to the point where the lens wouldn't click into place.

If you're worried, why not just pick up a second Flak Jacket frame? They're affordable, and then you would have a backup, as well as a pair to use for low-light applications.

"Affordable" is a relative term :) I got what I thought was a good value for a excellent condition frame (no lens) for $40. If I could find a second pair, even in not great shape, for less than that, maybe it'd be feasible. Anyone got a dusty Flak frame laying around they'd be interested in parting with that I could use specifically for HI Yellow lenses and night driving?

Anyone got a dusty Flak frame laying around they'd be interested in parting with that I could use specifically for HI Yellow lenses and night driving?

Just swap them mate, I've got three pairs of lenses for mine (pos red, G30 & clear) and swap them regularly. Once you get used to doing it you can take them remove/install with minimal/no wear to the lens tabs.Takes no time at all either.

Just swap them mate, I've got three pairs of lenses for mine (pos red, G30 & clear) and swap them regularly. Once you get used to doing it you can take them remove/install with minimal/no wear to the lens tabs.Takes no time at all either.

Agree 100%.
That's what they're meant for. It's only us crazy folk on this site who would (a) even notice if there was a slight loosening of the frame (not my experience at all) or (b) would buy a spare frame in the same or similar color (guilty).

Agree 100%.
That's what they're meant for. It's only us crazy folk on this site who would (a) even notice if there was a slight loosening of the frame (not my experience at all) or (b) would buy a spare frame in the same or similar color (guilty).

Guilty of (b) too :D But it never hurts to have a few additional Flaks sitting around.

Back