• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Frogskin Math - How Many Pairs Do You Own?

How many possible pairs of frogskins do you have?

• 0-

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • <1000

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • <2500

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • >5000

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

sharkin

Oakley Beginner
I was wondering how many possible pairs of frogskins I can make with all my parts.

I figured it wasn't going to be as simple as multiplying out the options as there are 5 discrete variables involved, but it actually works just fine.

F= # of frames
R= # of right lenses
O= # of left lenses
G= # of right legs
S= # of left legs

F*R*O*G*S = possible pairs

I have 4 pairs of frogs, and one of them has 2 sets of legs

4*4*4*5*5 = 1,600 total possible pairs of frogskins.

What about you?

I'm gonna go with by the time you finish swapping all those parts all those times you will probably be left with MAYBE one single pair of useable Frogs as most of the parts will probably end up being junk.

@Rustpot Care to go into the mathematical portion of this?

Not that I'm disassembling them...

4 frames
4 right lenses, but 2 duplicates, so 3 unique right lenses
3 left lenses (^)
3 right legs (^^)
3 left legs (^^^)
-------------------------
432 possibilities

I'm gonna go with by the time you finish swapping all those parts all those times you will probably be left with MAYBE one single pair of useable Frogs as most of the parts will probably end up being junk.

@Rustpot Care to go into the mathematical portion of this?
It's not that complex. 1,600 unique combinations can be created.

That's how Oakley made the old ads like this one.

OakleyBladesCustomize.jpg

The little number in the corner is 22,394,880 from 10 lenses, 9 noses, 12 trigger stems, 12 straight stems, and 12 frames. Multiply 10x9x12x12x12 and you get 155,520. So I'm not sure where they get the 22 million.

The ad does say Blades and Razor Blades, so there should be doubles on the straight stems and trigger stems. I need to write it out to visualize it but 22,394,880/155,520 = 144, which is conveniently 12x12. Maybe they're counting Blade frames and nose pieces separately from Razor Blade?

41 complete pairs... and a couple of stems too. At least 115 Million possibilities with your formula. But I don't dare to dismount some of them, don't wanna crack them.

Latest Posts

Back