• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Frogskin question

Lots of Frogskins faked out there, but FWIW they almost NEVER match up the correct SKU numbers, unlike Holbrooks, Jupiters, PB IIs etc.

This quite often makes it easy to tell. If you are unsure, especially on the Bay, simply ask for the SKU, when you don't get a reply it's time to move on.

In terms of resale market, it's hitting the whole of Lux across the board, thrown in the same problem with Ray-Ban as well. It's the result of a cheaper (potentially more efficient and quality) range of production being moved out to China. I used to speak to companies such as Nike warning us of the impact that long term widespread counterfeiting does to a brand and with Oakley we are starting to see that play out.

Hasn't widespread counterfeiting of Oakleys been going on for decades?

Of course, but not to the level of quality where you legitimately can't tell the difference between products at times. I've had various pairs over the years from seized counterfeit lots where if I had purchased through an authorized retailer nobody would be questioning in. In fact that raises the point that a lot of counterfeit products have made their way into the legitimate supply chain over the last number of years.

Before it was Asian factories trying to copy a product made in the States, the quality usually was terrible. They had no moulds, no access to the legitimate materials. Now they've got it all, quite often the counterfeit products are made in the same factory stuff is produced officially for Oakley.

Of course, but not to the level of quality where you legitimately can't tell the difference between products at times. I've had various pairs over the years from seized counterfeit lots where if I had purchased through an authorized retailer nobody would be questioning in. In fact that raises the point that a lot of counterfeit products have made their way into the legitimate supply chain over the last number of years.

Before it was Asian factories trying to copy a product made in the States, the quality usually was terrible. They had no moulds, no access to the legitimate materials. Now they've got it all, quite often the counterfeit products are made in the same factory stuff is produced officially for Oakley.
I think the weight difference comes from the lens, If you told me the frames I have here were genuine frogskin blanks I wouldn't argue with you, though I notice there is a little star stamp near the right hand hinge.
Is the word Oakley meant to be raised on the frames?

I think the weight difference comes from the lens, If you told me the frames I have here were genuine frogskin blanks I wouldn't argue with you, though I notice there is a little star stamp near the right hand hinge.
Is the word Oakley meant to be raised on the frames?

Yes

Latest Posts

Back