• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fuel Cell Cerakote Finish

areyoudeadyet

Oakley Beginner
I recently purchased two pairs of oakley fuel cell cerakote in sage and black. I have to say I was pretty stoked about them at first, they look great. Until recently I had to send the sage ones back due to the cerakote finish wearing off on the ear stems. Those are the ones I wear most, but I've only had them a few months. Thank goodness they are covered under warranty.

Needless to say I thought it was a one off case until now, as I noticed my black ones are starting to do the same thing in the exact same place! I really thought that the finish would hold a lot better, especially since they are not abused in any way. If I'm not wearing them they are in the case. I also have a firearm which has a cerakote finish and does get used and abused yet the cerakote finish on that has held up quite well compared to my sunglasses.

Has anyone else that owns these experienced any of the same problems?

Not the first time ive heard of this. It appears cerakote isnt nearly as bulletproof on oakleys as on guns. Im a shelf whore and rarely wear any of my glasses so id probably never experience this.

I have also noticed this, and it is quite frustrating, as Cerakote is supposed to be one of the greatest coating products on the planet. I have several Cerakoted pieces, some that were baked and some that were air dried, such as the new Ultrablend Fuel Cells. I have not worn the Fuel Cells enough to determine the strength of the coating, but I can tell that it will wear off over time. I have had one of my baked Cerakote pieces show some wear just by the tips of ear stems rubbing on the frame while closed. I am beginning to question the strength of Cerakote on plastic. I have a Minute Machine watch that I had Cerakoted, and it has held up perfectly, with no signs of wear whatsoever.

I believe the omatter is not the ideal platform for cerakote use.

I owned one pair of fuell cell cerakote and not ever getting anymore from them, I much rather have Dr. Chop paint my pair cerakote then have oakley do it, on my fuel cell, it felt like they use more paint on the right temple then the left temple. Also from opening and closing the arms they would rub against eachother and leave scratch marks as well.

with any coating it can't be any stronger than than the surface that it's Adhered to.I've powder Coated for years. 90% of the finish is pre treatment. I still can't decide to powder my Juliet s cause I know it doesn't last like people say .

Back