1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

By ajirbl on 8/15/14 at 4:30 PM
  1. ajirbl

ajirbl Oakley Enthusiast

First of all, I want to mention that I have absolutely no affiliation with Fuse Lenses whatsoever. I was however provided 3 sets of lenses to review. I initially found a review of these lenses from many months ago. The initial review was that they were the incorrect curve…has anything changed?

Clarity

Here are a few pictures to compare. The first picture is a projection on my wall with no lenses in front. I'll let you guess which is the fuse lens and which is the oakley lens for the next two pictures
    Fuse Lenses - Review - IMG_0544.JPG
    Fuse Lenses - Review - IMG_0545.JPG

Fuse Lenses - Review - IMG_0546.JPG
    I’ve been wearing the Red Mirror lenses for the past two weeks and can say no headaches and no sense of any distortion. I wouldn’t call them inferior to Oakley clarity whatsoever. I’d say we finally have an aftermarket lens with top notch clarity.

Quality

Pros:

These are truly top quality replacement lenses. 2mm Thick with nice even bevels around the perimeter and they’ve got the correct base curvature for your glasses as long as you request the correct curvature. They also meet ANSI Z87.1 specifications…not something any other aftermarket lens I’ve seen can boast.

Cons:

I initially ordered a pair of lenses for my X-Metal XX and they arrived as a base 6 curvature. I had to call and request the colours they had available in Base 8 to get the correct curvature. As a side note, my XMXX flex quite a bit even with 15 temple shocks…they probably only require a base 6 curve when I wear them…they also fit very well despite the incorrect curvature. I currently have them installed in my Plasma/Ice pair as I don’t want to ruin my factory Ice Lenses. No bending required to install them in my frames and the base 6 curve in these particular frames aren’t an issue for me personally. They've made the bevel on the XMXX so that a base 6 fits properly in the orbital without warping or bending the lens...but again, i'd only order the base 8 curves going forward.

Color
    Fuse Lenses - Review - IMG_0955.JPG Fuse Lenses - Review - IMG_0956.JPG Fuse Lenses - Review - IMG_0957.JPG
    Pros:

One word “stunning.” The colors are vibrant and they carry quite a few lenses that are very good “cross references” to Oakley colors. I received base 8 curvatures:

Green Mirror = Jade Iridium

Red Mirror = Ruby Iridium (old style Ruby with nice red/purple tones and little to no “fire”)

Black Chrome = Chrome Iridium (it is not a copy for black iridium)

They offer many other colors but as far as Base 8 curve is concerned they have

Purple Mirror = Violet Iridium

Orange Mirror = Fire Iridium

Zeiss Grey Polarized = Grey Polarized

Zeiss Brown Polarized = Dark Bronze Polarized

Cons:

Not all colors available in Base 8 Curvature. Not a big deal if you collect frogskins and the like, but X Metals all use Base 8…fewer options.

They will be adding more colors very soon, but that is what they currently offer in Base 8 Curvature.

Base 6 Curvature they’ve got a ton of colors check out their site.

Fit

Fit was perfect with every pair of XMXX I installed them in which is something I have not yet come across. I could have just been lucky but either way, you shouldn’t have too much trouble. They also have a fitment guarantee. If they don’t fit, you can send them back as long as they’re in the same condition you received them in...ie you didn’t wear them out and scratch the **** out of them.

Durability

Edit: having trouble uploading the video to my regular account...will get it up soon.

I promised them I’d use a set to show the durability but when I got them and saw the quality…I didn’t want to do the “test.” I am however a man of my word and you’ll see the hammer and scratch test in the linked video. I will add that I hit the lenses hard, not putting my whole body weight into it, but I didn’t just tap them. They stood up to the hit like a champ. Actually they stood up to the test exactly like a pair of ANSI Z87.1 approved lenses should.

Scratch test – I didn’t want to put any of my expensive genuine Oakley lenses through this test but I can simply say we all know genuine Oakley lenses would not have stood up to this abuse as well as these did.

Options

Pros: Base 6 curvature glasses have 15 lens colors available with most of those colors also available polarized. They also offer clear, photochromatic, and RealD 3D Lenses.

Cons: As mentioned earlier, Base 8 curvature glasses have fewer color options and only the Grey and Brown Zeiss offerings for polarized.

They also don’t have a ton of frame options right now for X-Metals…XMXX and Juliet being the only lenses offered in the X-Metal Line. I will be sending them my Ti02 Romeo 2.0 frames and lenses for them to make me some of those in the near future. I’ll also end up sending them my romeos as well.

My Conclusion

Despite the limited options right now for Base 8 curve lenses, I would highly recommend taking a shot on these lenses. I so often see people immediately say “you just wasted $20” and I’d tend to agree with that statement just about every other time, but I honestly think these are different. The thickness, durability, fit, and colors are just better than any other aftermarket lens I’ve tried before.

The reality is that I wasted a couple hundred dollars trying to find a high quality set of replacement lenses at a good price. I think I’ve found some, and going forward, I will save a lot of money over buying OEM custom cuts. Don’t get me wrong, there are some Oakley lens color options that I’ll want and will pay for, but for the colors Fuse Lenses offer it’s tough to beat.

Last edited by a moderator: 10/6/14
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad

Comments

Discussion in 'DIY/Modding Discussion' started by ajirbl, 8/15/14.

1. Ventruck

Ventruck Oakley Expert

Curious Ventruck is curious.

Did you see a difference between the Zeiss-labeled ones and the rest? The thread on those raised an eyebrow, but as Infinite Hero laid it out, it sounds too good to be true given the price.

2. ajirbl

ajirbl Oakley Enthusiast

I did not notice a difference between the two types as far as clarity was concerned.

3. OakleyCan

OakleyCan Oakley Collector

Eye test shots are hard to judge as one appears to be zoomed in more so there appears more pixilated. Having said that, the top one is clearer.

How do you select the base curve? doesn't appear to be an option on EBay or Amazon.

They are more expensive direct through Fuse oddly enough.

4. ajirbl

ajirbl Oakley Enthusiast

I'll do the test again and use a fixed focus camera.

You can call or email for the updated list of base 8 curve lenses. From there just request it in the notes section within paypal when you send payment.

Great guys to deal with.

5. stn51

stn51 I NEED ANOTHER FUEL CELL!

I ordered a set I love there colors

6. Jontoad

Jontoad Oakley Expert

the red mirror i have in my square wire 2.0 spring hinge don't look like that. they are deep red only. no purple or orange at all.

i think i mentioned this in another fuse thread but at an angle towards the edge of view the lenses do not distort like other aftermarket lenses do. although they are a bitch to keep clean even with hydrophobic coating on them. they aren't bad, but i really will only buy them if i can't get an Oakley lens for a pair instead. the fire lenses for the Square wire 2.0 are not an option at the price people want for them. lol.

Fuse Lenses - Review - 23hwyfd.jpg

every other aftermarket lens i have tried looks cloudy at this angle. these are as far as i can tell just as clear as any of my Oakley lenses at this angle.

Fuse Lenses - Review - 1115pms.jpg

Last edited: 8/16/14
      OakleyFreak likes this.
    7. MachineHead

MachineHead Oakley Enthusiast

no idea how close the other colors are to oem but i did try the purple mirror and it's no where near violet iridiums.

8. ajirbl

ajirbl Oakley Enthusiast

That's possible. They told me that black mirror were similar to black iridium when in fact they're more like chrome iridium. Have not seen the violet in person.

The biggest point of this is that these lenses appear to be a good aftermarket option.

They have good colours, good impact resistance, and very good clarity.

9. MachineHead

MachineHead Oakley Enthusiast

i agree. i have no technical way of checking but they do seem quite clear. and the customer service is phenomenal. the pair they sent didn't fit perfectly so they immediately sent me a new pair and a shipping label to return the other pair.
      definitely a good aftermarket option if you're not too concerned about matching the oem colors.