• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Future of Oakley Frogskins?

OGfrog

Oakley Expert
With recent frog releases not selling like hot cakes I wonder if oakley will start re-releasing classic pairs.

We saw it with polished clear w/ violet matte black w violet and the polished white with ruby etc

So I pose two questions

Does anyone else see this happening?

Which pairs are likely to be rereleased?

My bet is if there is a steady decline we could see some neon yellows rereleased. People will probably disagree with me but wouldn't be surprised to see blends rereleased in some fashion maybe with the colors in reverse

The Blends - id be surprised as they were all hand made.
The Neons - that would be awesome, I really love them and dont think we should have to pay $300 just to get a pair.

You may have noticed, the limited releases are pretty low cost now days - Black or Matt Black, maybe some etching and a bag. Nothing like the David Flores, Todd Francis and C100's. I think this is because they just sell for being a limited release and not for what they actually are - OCP with a bag

They claim to be hand made but people still say they can spot fakes. Not a ton different than applying the fade like other frogs just a few more colors.

Initially the drive behind the gen 3 was to re-release examples of the original 'classic' Frogskins and this has already happened with Matte Clear, (Matte) Red, White, Rootbeer, Black, Crystal Clear, Crystal Black, Crystal Red, Dalmation, Neon Yellow, Grey, and Wildberry n' Milk. The only original frames that were not given another run that I can identify were Black Rain, Sky Blue, and Purple Cloud, so there would be some merit in re-releasing these, but since the first gen 3's were effectively re-issues produced in 2007, it seems that the three that 'missed the boat' will never be given a new release. The new Frogskin part numbers run from OO9013-01 to 36, so that would assume at least 36 new pieces all of which are likely to be original colourways. Only the accounts Oakley possess showing their business return on this model from 2007 until now could relate to the demand/sales over that time, which would be a more accurate truth that for collectors to see a few rare or even not so rare pairs sell for less now than they previously did on ebay, and thus draw the conclusion the Frogskins market is not what it used to be or even 'dead' as some have suggested. Personally I think some new releases could be more appealing, for instance, how about a range like a Petterson #5...think of a day-glo yellow with red spots and a Fire lens, or fluorescent bright orange with luminous lime green spots etc, then add some texture and sparkle along the way. The best way forward is new original releases in the maddest most insane colours the imagination can conjure.

I totally agree but from a business sense it's a lot easier to use old ideas then come up with new ones. If the ebay values are already down they won't be hurting the collectors. Just seems to make sense.

Matte rootbeer could make another appearance too and maybe something similar to the blue supremes

Can't confirm this with certainty but just heard neon yellow may become an ocp colorway

Initially the drive behind the gen 3 was to re-release examples of the original 'classic' Frogskins and this has already happened with Matte Clear, (Matte) Red, White, Rootbeer, Black, Crystal Clear, Crystal Black, Crystal Red, Dalmation, Neon Yellow, Grey, and Wildberry n' Milk. The only original frames that were not given another run that I can identify were Black Rain, Sky Blue, and Purple Cloud, so there would be some merit in re-releasing these, but since the first gen 3's were effectively re-issues produced in 2007, it seems that the three that 'missed the boat' will never be given a new release. The new Frogskin part numbers run from OO9013-01 to 36, so that would assume at least 36 new pieces all of which are likely to be original colourways. Only the accounts Oakley possess showing their business return on this model from 2007 until now could relate to the demand/sales over that time, which would be a more accurate truth that for collectors to see a few rare or even not so rare pairs sell for less now than they previously did on ebay, and thus draw the conclusion the Frogskins market is not what it used to be or even 'dead' as some have suggested. Personally I think some new releases could be more appealing, for instance, how about a range like a Petterson #5...think of a day-glo yellow with red spots and a Fire lens, or fluorescent bright orange with luminous lime green spots etc, then add some texture and sparkle along the way. The best way forward is new original releases in the maddest most insane colours the imagination can conjure.

The things id do for a sky blue pair. 1st gen OR a rerelease.