• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Garage Rock - New Release, Rumor And Discussion Thread

Batwolf

Double Team
Premium Member
Portland, OR
Like em, hate em or can't live with out them, either way the Garage Rock is the future. I want to use this thread as discussion about the Garage Rock, new releases, rumors and general discussion.

Here are the signature/special edition Garage Rock's that have come out so far (or will be coming out).

Fathom Collection - Neon Yellow/Ice Iridium
5106ee44d02cf.jpg

Ducati - Polished Black/Grey Polarized
510affd5ccb04.jpg

Kolohe Andino (?) - Sepia/Dark Grey
50f5af37594b7.jpg

As far as rumors go, I've heard from a few different sources that the Holbrook will be discontinued and that the Garage Rock is the successor. Not sure if it's true but if anyone has any info please chime in. :cool:

Honestly I'm not a true fan of the Garage Rock but I do like how all three of those look. :thumb:

The Garage Rock is like the new generation of your favorite car. It's big, ugly and you don't like it but eventually it grows on you.

I'm curious to see what else comes out this year, 2013 is going to be the year of the Garage Rock.

From what I have heard, Holbrook is here to stay- there are going to be a number of Holbrook releases this year.
It's taken some time but I've actually come to love the Garage Rock.

As far as rumors go, I've heard from a few different sources that the Holbrook will be discontinued and that the Garage Rock is the successor. Not sure if it's true but if anyone has any info please chime in. :cool:

I really hope not, especially as the garage rocks aren't exactly kind to small asian faces.

The Garage Rock could be said to be an evolutionary inspiration of the Frogskins, which also applies to the Jupiter and Holbrook. It's presence is unmistakeable however, and there is already the feeling it is a 'love it or hate it' model, demonstrated in part by the remarks within this forum. Initially I purchased the Violet pair, a) to have an example of the model, and b) because I have almost all the Violet lenses that have been released since the original Frogskins, a lens that ranks among my favourites. Great fit and coverage, light and comfortable, but there is a feeling of it having a feminine streak, but that maybe attributed to this colourway. The polished icon within a chrome setting adds to the look of this pair. I think a critical point will be that these will look bad on some people, and good on others, it's a big glass so a larger head will likely be more appropriate. I think the sku numbers are planned to go into the 20s so far, therefore it is likely in the years ahead when we look back at a deleted model, the legacy could be numerous pairs, where collectors cherry pick the limited and more interesting releases, and elect not to aim to collect the entire output. For some it may start off as a pair they dislike, then the 'growing' potential of it's appeal creates an addictive frenzy of collecting to the extent it is the ultimate piece ever created, to others that may regard it as among the worst glasses produced. It hasn't hit me as a masterpiece design like the Antix, Oil Rig, or Eyepatch (original and II), so for me I will probably cherry pick and leave it at that. One point I had noticed is the awkward nature of the arms when folded, the 'top' arm not resting snug against the other, but regardless, I imagine most Oakley fans will take an interest in the future of the model, for good or bad.

I hope this rumor turns out to be false alarm. I just got my first Holbrook a couple of months back and like it a lot. Would like to see the Holbrook become a classic that stays in production for a very very long time. I thought Oakley marketed it as a classic in the making. Especially with the broad color spectrum in the regular production line up now and all the limited editions models that came out.

As for the Garage Rock. To me it looks like a cool sunglass, but I do not at all see it as a successor to any of the lifestyle models. Seems way to different from the Frogskins size wise and to different shape wise compered to the Holbrook. I will get one if it fits me. And eventually more than one if I will not get better at containing myself :sad:.