• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gary Scelzi Romeo 2 "serial" #s List

Let's think about where these were sold originally- weren't they mainly sold at Rolling O/ track events?
Wouldn't those purchasers be more inclined to use them up than buy them for collections?
Were these ever available for purchase in retail outlets, given the limited production and target audience?

I was told that many were sold at track events. I suspect not many of those boxes survived. You answered the last question with your own photograph.

Scelzi retail.jpg

Maybe we break the 500 mark with # 576 ???
So on one hand we may confirm the SN's go beyond 500
That makes seeing only 13 of these as matched/complete all the more interesting, just over 2% accounted for...

It would not surprise me if there are more than 500. The original 500 production number came from the guy that managed the NHRA Rolling O and was the exclusive seller of them for a bit of time. If there is anyone in the company In 2006 that would know the production number, it's him. But the key thing to remember is that this is Oakley. If the product sold well and they didn't officially state a defined number in writing, nothing is to stop them from making another batch.

When someone in Oakley tells you there was a certain amount made for some product, don't take it as gospel unless it is writing down within something official. What they're giving you is a snapshot in time that, while accurate for when the statement was made, may be rendered incorrect as time goes on.

It would not surprise me if there are more than 500. The original 500 production number came from the guy that managed the NHRA Rolling O and was the exclusive seller of them for a bit of time. If there is anyone in the company In 2006 that would know the production number, it's him. But the key thing to remember is that this is Oakley. If the product sold well and they didn't officially state a defined number in writing, nothing is to stop them from making another batch.

When someone in Oakley tells you there was a certain amount made for some product, don't take it as gospel unless it is writing down within something official. What they're giving you is a snapshot in time that, while accurate for when the statement was made, may be rendered incorrect as time goes on.

I hear what you are saying. As Angel Air had commented - and that I had myself overlooked - the fact that I own a pair that have a retail sticker from Athlete's Foot is pretty solid proof that these were also sold outside the Rolling O umbrella.
Please see his post at the top of page 3.
That having been said, the "serial" on that pair is in the 400's so of that 500 number not all those 500 were sold at RO events.
What matters more to me than the number made is the number extant.

I know this is the GSR2 thread, but does anyone know how many of the GS Fives 3.0's were made? I think I recall someone saying there were fewer of the GS Fives 3.0's than the GS R2's, but that could have been a dream =]

Also, would the GS Fives' have offered primarily at Rolling O and events, likely lowering the number of pairs around today? (I think that is where the person I bought mine from got theirs, at a meet)

Back