• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gas Can SI's - My Predicament - Kinda Pissed @ Oakley

871JZ

Oakley Beginner
What's going on, gentleman? Brand new member here posting for the first time. I've got a couple questions and figured there wouldn't be anyone better to ask than the Oakley experts here at the Oakley Forum.

I've been lurking the last couple weeks trying to find the answers I need without having to sign-up and start a new thread, thinking these may be fairly common questions, but the answers I found weren't exactly clear and didn't directly address my two concerns.

I recently purchased a pair of standard Gas Can's and love them. They're Matte Black frames with Black Iridium polarized lenses. In fact, I liked them so much that I decided two days later to pick up a set of the Standard Issue Gas Can's. I bought the Desert Sage cerakoted frames, paired with the Tungsten Iridium non-polarized lenses. Trust me, if they would've been available at the time, I would have MUCH preferred the polarized lenses to the non-polarized lenses, but I grabbed what I could get at the time, thinking it wouldn't be a problem to place an order through Oakley for a set of Tungsten Iridium polarized replacement lenses. If I'm spending decent money on quality eyewear, I want polarized lenses. Just my personal preference.

Anyway, waited until the holiday passed, and contacted Oakley yesterday with the intention of placing an order for the Tungsten Iridium polarized lenses in order to swap out the non-polarized lenses in the SI Gas Can's. Unfortunately, to my surprise and disappointment, Oakley won't sell me the TIP lenses separately! Of course, I asked the representative why not, since they're offered by Oakley in the Desert Sage SI Gas Can's, so it's not like I'm asking for something unique, unusual, or discontinued, and his answer was short and to the point. "Because we just don't offer them separately from the glasses." At this point I'm kinda pissed, because had I known this from the get-go, I would've gladly just waited, albeit very impatiently, for the Desert Sage TIP SI Gas Can's to become available again.

So, there's the back story on my predicament. Now onto my two questions. I'm stuck looking at aftermarket polarized replacement lenses and I need to know your opinion on the Ikon Gas Can replacement lenses. According to everything they claim, they're very high quality replacements, but of course they're going to make those claims. After all, they are trying to sell their own product! Reviews, for the most part, seem to be very good, but not everyone knows exactly what to look for in a high quality lens, so I'll have much more faith in what you guys have to say about them than some dude posting a review on Amazon. Also, if there's a better alternative out there to the Ikon's, I'm all ears!

Second question is, I obviously want a lense as close as possible to the Tungsten Iridium's that came with this pair, just in a polarized variant. Looking specifically at Ikon, I was thinking either the 24K Gold Mirror or the Brown/Bronze. Aside from obviously wanting them to match well with the Desert Sage cerakoted frames, I also prefer lenses that hide my eyes from the outside looking in. In my line of work, it's always an added benefit if others can't tell what you're looking at. That's one thing I absolutely love about the BIP lenses in my Matte Black frames, is that they cannot be seen through by others. I also understand that with a brownish colored lens like Ikon Brown/Bronze, this may not be possible since I don't believe they have that mirrored outside coating, but it looks like the Ikon 24K Gold Mirror lenses do have this feature, so that's why I included those as a possible option.

If I'm way off base with anything here, including looking specifically at Ikon replacements, please let me know. Also, if there's a way for me to aquire a set of Oakley Tungsten Iridium polarized lenses, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions you guys can offer me. I know most of you here are probably MUCH more knowledgeable on this particular subject than myself!

ETA: Also, can any of you expert Oakley guru's tell me why they offer these lenses with the glasses, but not separately? Is this a common practice with some of their lenses? Seems like they're missing out on possible sales opportunities.

Last edited:
Hey guy, I'm no expert nor guru. I just enjoy using these quality products. I know a lot of these guys will tell you to meet the requirements to gain access to the exchange forum. Then hit up some the custom lens cutters. There will be other diehards that will tell you that there is nothing better than the authentic lenses and that you shouldn't waste your time with aftermarket. But like you some times a pair of lenses cost almost as much as buying a new pair of glasses.
I say it's your Eyewear and do as you see fit... unless they are going to hook you up. I don't mind and read up on the aftermarket brands.
There is a page with reviews on aftermarket brands members have tried. Try and take a look at Fuse+ they seem to be good with other members. I haven't bought any yet but it's good to have options.

P.S. Be careful with this Forum. Next thing you know it, your eating Ramen in an empty house starring at your Oakley Collection thinking of your next purchase. Lol
Good luck and welcome!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hey guy, I'm no expert nor guru. I just enjoy using these quality products. I know a lot of these guys will tell you to meet the requirements to gain access to the exchange forum. Then hit up some the custom lens cutters. There will be other diehards that will tell you that there is nothing better than the authentic lenses and that you shouldn't waste your time with aftermarket. But like you some times a pair of lenses cost almost as much as buying a new pair of glasses.
I say it's your Eyewear and do as you see fit... unless they are going to hook you up. I don't mind and read up on the aftermarket brands.
There is a page with reviews on aftermarket brands members have tried. Try and take a look at Fuse+ they seem to be good with other members. I haven't bought any yet but it's good to have options.

P.S. Be careful with this Forum. Next thing you know it, your eating Ramen in an empty house starring at your Oakley Collection thinking of your next purchase. Lol
Good luck and welcome!

Oh, trust me! I know how addictions go as far as collecting! Lol. And I'd rather have genuine Oakley lenses, but since Oakley has made that impossible for me, I have no other choice but to go with an aftermarket replacement set and so far the Ikon's seem to have the best reviews, at least elsewhere. Maybe I'll have to do some more research into the brand you mentioned, Fuse. I appreciate the input, man.

I feel ya on keeping it all oakley. Check ebay sometime guy will sell the lens you need with out the frame... most of the time for a marked up price. I have a pair of SI Splits Jacket which I've used for nearly 4 year till then lenses started to peel. I was ready to buy new lenses but guess what? They just discontinued them lol. So I either have to search for them or buy after markets. Fml. There's a guy Chris on here that does amazing job cut lenses from another frame.
Check out thread "what oakley are you wearing to day" those guys work with him a lot. He can tell you which lens to use as a donor.

I feel ya on keeping it all oakley. Check ebay sometime guy will sell the lens you need with out the frame... most of the time for a marked up price. I have a pair of SI Splits Jacket which I've used for nearly 4 year till then lenses started to peel. I was ready to buy new lenses but guess what? They just discontinued them lol. So I either have to search for them or buy after markets. Fml. There's a guy Chris on here that does amazing job cut lenses from another frame.
Check out thread "what oakley are you wearing to day" those guys work with him a lot. He can tell you which lens to use as a donor.

Thanks for the suggestion, man. I'll have to check that thread out.

Contribute to the forum and sell the non-polarized glasses when the polarized ones become available. Simple.

I may do that, but it still doesn't help me in the mean time. I'm looking to use the glasses NOW, hence the need for polarized lenses NOW. If I wanted to run them with the standard non-polarized lenses, I wouldn't have posted this thread. Plus, my equipment, yes even including my eyewear/eye-pro, gets run HARD and gets abused. I highly doubt they'd be worth much after I've trained with them for even just a month or two. I'd take less of a loss just buying the aftermarket lenses and running them to find out for myself. I bought the Matte Black pair for everyday use and the SI pair for work, so I could use the first pair, but I don't want to ruin them.

I still think it's ridiculous that Oakley refuses to sell them separately. Had I known that earlier on, I wouldn't have purchased them. No idea why on that one, and the Oakley rep wasn't too helpful. Nice guy, but didn't wanna give out too many answers to a customer that just spent many hundreds of dollars on his companies' products and was looking to spend even more. Really odd...

Does anyone have any input on the quality of the Ikon lenses? I'm gonna look into the Fuse's that were mentioned, but I'm still interested in the quality of the Ikon's, whether it be good or bad. I understand they're a site sponsor or maybe a site vendor? I've searched like crazy here and elsewhere, but no REAL information on them, just things like "they're great!", or "they suck!". Not very helpful. Maybe I should just spend the $40 on a set, find out for myself, and then post my own review and possibly help someone else out in the future since it seems tough to find any informed members here or elsewhere willing to comment on them. I'd just like to know if they're junk before wasting my money. I don't have tons of it to burn as it is. :(

Last edited:
Have checked this thread?
Aftermarket Lenses - Revant/Walleva/Fuse/Ikon...etc

Yes, and nicosuave1 gave a damn good review of the Ikon's, even the 24K set I'm interested in. I appreciate your help, man. I think I'll just order a set and give them a shot. Hopefully, Ikon's lenses will compare decently to factory Oakley's. It actually looks like, and I could be wrong here, but it appears that Ikon's A/R coating is actually superior to Oakley's. I've read up on that previously, too, and just found a bunch of guys defending Oakley and not giving any real comparison of the two. I love Oakley, but if someone or something is better, or at least as good, I'll admit it.

If they aren't listed for sale separately, why are you mad they aren't for sale separately? Seems your problem, not anyone else's.

Back