• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gas Can SI's - My Predicament - Kinda Pissed @ Oakley

Finally got a part number for the lenses I'm looking for from Oakley. Part number is 95-644 for anyone looking in the future. One customer service rep told me that those lenses are discontinued, yet another rep told me that they are still available, just on back order. So, who knows what to believe!

Finally got a part number for the lenses I'm looking for from Oakley. Part number is 95-644 for anyone looking in the future. One customer service rep told me that those lenses are discontinued, yet another rep told me that they are still available, just on back order. So, who knows what to believe!
And they probably sit right next to each other too!!!!!

I'm just hoping at least one of them knew WTF they were talking about and were right when they gave me the part number and said they're still currently in production, just on backorder. He said to keep that part number and try calling back every couple of weeks and see when they become available again. They did suggest the currently available Gold Iridium Polarized, as did another member, and said they would be the closest match to the Tungsten Iridium Polarized lenses I'm desperately searching for. I'm just not sure they would look good, and besides, the Gold Iridium's tend to darken everything up, whereas the Tungsten Iridium's tend to lighten everything up, which is definitely what I prefer.

I may do that, but it still doesn't help me in the mean time. I'm looking to use the glasses NOW, hence the need for polarized lenses NOW. If I wanted to run them with the standard non-polarized lenses, I wouldn't have posted this thread. Plus, my equipment, yes even including my eyewear/eye-pro, gets run HARD and gets abused. I highly doubt they'd be worth much after I've trained with them for even just a month or two. I'd take less of a loss just buying the aftermarket lenses and running them to find out for myself. I bought the Matte Black pair for everyday use and the SI pair for work, so I could use the first pair, but I don't want to ruin them.

I still think it's ridiculous that Oakley refuses to sell them separately. Had I known that earlier on, I wouldn't have purchased them. No idea why on that one, and the Oakley rep wasn't too helpful. Nice guy, but didn't wanna give out too many answers to a customer that just spent many hundreds of dollars on his companies' products and was looking to spend even more. Really odd...

Does anyone have any input on the quality of the Ikon lenses? I'm gonna look into the Fuse's that were mentioned, but I'm still interested in the quality of the Ikon's, whether it be good or bad. I understand they're a site sponsor or maybe a site vendor? I've searched like crazy here and elsewhere, but no REAL information on them, just things like "they're great!", or "they suck!". Not very helpful. Maybe I should just spend the $40 on a set, find out for myself, and then post my own review and possibly help someone else out in the future since it seems tough to find any informed members here or elsewhere willing to comment on them. I'd just like to know if they're junk before wasting my money. I don't have tons of it to burn as it is. :(
I also find some of Oakley's policies ridiculous......can't you return your glasses for a refund....use the other Gas cans in th meantime....I know some of the approved SI glasses are not polarized for a good reason..it filters out reflections/glint and this is a no no in a combat situation.

I also find some of Oakley's policies ridiculous......can't you return your glasses for a refund....use the other Gas cans in th meantime....I know some of the approved SI glasses are not polarized for a good reason..it filters out reflections/glint and this is a no no in a combat situation.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your comment. You're saying that polarized lenses and filtering out reflections and/or glint is a "no-no" in combat situations? Huh? Why would you NOT want to filter out glare in a combat situation? I must be missing something here...

In fact, most of Oakley's Standard Issue line of glasses ARE equipped with polarized lenses. Only some of them are available WITHOUT polarized lenses, so please explain what you're trying to say so I can get a better understanding of what you mean.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm understanding your comment. You're saying that polarized lenses and filtering out reflections and/or glint is a "no-no" in combat situations? Huh? Why would you NOT want to filter out glare in a combat situation? I must be missing something here...

In fact, most of Oakley's Standard Issue line of glasses ARE equipped with polarized lenses. Only some of them are available WITHOUT polarized lenses, so please explain what you're trying to say so I can get a better understanding of what you mean.
It's a thin argument, same as those that say polarized is bad in the winter because it hides ice. In a time-sensitive situation when you need all the input you can get, muting or removing glare from metallic, glass, or other surfaces that should have it might allow you to misjudge or overlook those items.

If you can't tell glare is still present after putting on polarized lenses I want your eyes. Polarized, for me, only takes the edge off. Reflective surfaces still appear much different and still glare quite a lot. The intensity of the hotspots are removed for me, making it bearable to be outside.

It's a thin argument, same as those that say polarized is bad in the winter because it hides ice. In a time-sensitive situation when you need all the input you can get, muting or removing glare from metallic, glass, or other surfaces that should have it might allow you to misjudge or overlook those items.

If you can't tell glare is still present after putting on polarized lenses I want your eyes. Polarized, for me, only takes the edge off. Reflective surfaces still appear much different and still glare quite a lot. The intensity of the hotspots are removed for me, making it bearable to be outside.

Completely agree.

This is as I understood the US Mil required it....SI Ballistic M Frame 3.0/Det Cord don't have polarised lenses.....you won't be able to pick up glint/light reflection off objects like a IED, a watch face, a scope lens with polarised lenses.

This is as I understood the US Mil required it....SI Ballistic M Frame 3.0/Det Cord don't have polarised lenses.....you won't be able to pick up glint/light reflection off objects like a IED, a watch face, a scope lens with polarised lenses.
This theory is not my own it is how I understood it...personally I could n't be bothered either way in my environment. If I was to get into a combat situation here I would just wear my grey/m frame 3.0 and spend my preparation time getting as fit as possible and the rest on the shooting range.

Back