1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Tunney Prime

Tunney Prime Oakley Beginner

i found a gen 2 m frame a few months ago on eBay. I was at a Vault last week and picked up a set of sweep lenses. When I installed them, the fit was pretty snug, but they eventually popped in. But then I looked closely and the lens had created 2 cracks in the frame. Did oakley change the lens fit between 1997 and the pre-M2 frames, and did I then force the lens into a frame it wasn't designed for, or did I just have a really brittle frame?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Lexkempo

Lexkempo Frog Fanatic

I'll put money on the brittle frame ...

@Rustpot ?

Patient_Cero likes this.
  3. Patient_Cero

Patient_Cero Oakley Collector

The earlier frames were prone to this during lens changes, a reason many stopped changing lenses back in the day in favorite pairs. It was just easier to buy another pair, etc. I had two M-frames, a gen one and a gen 2 replaced by Oakley for this reason back in the day.

Tunney Prime likes this.
  4. Tunney Prime

Tunney Prime Oakley Beginner

Ok. Well the lenses are in. Perhaps a dab of super glue at the cracks for strength?

5. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

I could get into a whole long-winded lecture about lenses, but yeah, it's done.

Glue it or get a new frame. Gen 3 'New' frames ('New' being the moniker for the post-'99 reformulation of O-matter) are somewhat cheap.

Tunney Prime likes this.