• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gen I M-Frame Experts Enter Here Please

GRFMotorsports

is an Oakley whore
Premium Member
Nixa, Mo
Ok, so I picked up this pair here..... Now Im no expert on M-frames but I am trying to learn.

First question, what is it? I came up with a M-frame Heater, crystal black frame with a blue iridium lens. I dont however see that combo listed at OR. Am I correct? Is it a legit pair? I dont think the early models had OAKLEY across the lens correct? Does the cut look right? Thanks!

DSC07955.jpg

DSC07956.jpg

DSC07957.jpg

DSC07958.jpg

It looks good. Frame/lens combinations aren't well documented, and with the M Frame everything was available as replacements except the frame itself. Only way to tell is come across a "Mumbo With Hammers" box that has a blue iridium heater sticker. I'm not sure if the first gen boxes had frame color as part of the same tag or not, I can't recall at the moment.

The lens looks like it has a bit more green than the first gen blue iridium pairs that I have. But the shield lenses tend to show more of the spectrum and vary a lot more I've noticed. Mine all have a subtle amber tint that fades to grey towards the edges as well.

About the writing on the lens - it's a crapshoot. I've seen it in bold white, I've seen it written in big text, I have some without anything.

Not too sure I like crystal black with blue iridium, but it looks like its in great condition.

I thought you might be the first to respond if you were on. The condition is so good it makes you second guess if it is actually real. The lens in person is almost all blue with purple at the sides, but w/o having another in hand to compare it to? The crystal blue frame would be the way to go with this but I'll take it.

I've got blue Heater, Hybrid1, and Sweep. I'll take some pics when I get time this weekend.

And I'm not an expert, I'm procrastinating at work late on a Friday.

It is legit... I have the same frame (Crystal Black), LOVE IT! Frame and lens combinations are very jumbled because people often bought extra lenses and did many interchanges over the life of the frame. Same with the nose bombs on these, I have seen MANY combinations not listed on O Review and if they were there would be hundreds of thousands of combinations... I dont think that is a 1st gen blue iridium lens either, looks to be in good condition as well so I am thinking it was purchased later as a replacement... Not all lenses were created equal either by Oakley so keep that in mind because some dont have any branding, some will have etching and others are pad printed...

None of the blues I have are marked in any way. No date codes, or other small etchings that are hidden inside the frame or nosepiece, no Oakley logo.

I wish just 1 of the 4 were in as good of condition as yours though.

Also, something to keep in mind: I see a LOT of lenses that form stress cracks. I don't know if you plan to wear those but just beware. I don't know if most people didn't change the lenses right, or if the older lenses were more prone to cracking. The only modern lens that's formed cracks on my watch was a polarized heater, it seems to have the weakest design.

Im not sure if I would wear these or not, at the moment I'm leaning toward no just because of their condition. If they had a couple marks on them I most likely would try them out. Thanks guys!

They probably do have some marks under the frame.

If you're not stressing the frame when wearing them you're not doing anything that the frame isn't already doing to the lens.

The frames are very fragile. Especially the translucent frame, like this one.
By wearing small hairline cracks will appear over time. I have had it on one of my 1st gen crystal blue frames. I highly recommend not wearing them.

Also you won't be the first to break a frame.

Also be careful on the lens it is an early version without Oakley etching, loved by people that want to have their pairs completely vintage.