• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gibston Vs Split Shot (DWP)

gj6n68

Oakley Beginner
Hello hello,

Posting for the first time so excuse me if this has been discussed already.

I have been using Oakley frames for prescription since years and having finally moved on to using contacts have thought about getting a pair of sunglasses in DWP lenses.

Initially I was set to buy gibston but then came across Split Shot and now confused which one to go for.
Heart is set on Split Shot but not sure about longevity of the nose piece and availability if it needs replacing etc.
Gibston has no such silicone rubber parts to worry about.

I won't be using them for any water related activities, they'll purely be for daily use while driving or leisure walking around the city.

Look forward to the expert input.

Thank you

If you chose the Split Shot, just pick up a few spare nose pieces from the parts and service site. The ones they use on that model are tiny and flimsy.

The Gibston, obviously, wont have that issue but is a smaller frame in general than the Split Shot. That could be good or bad depending on your face size.

Aloha and welcome to the Forum. :cool-33:🤙

tmp.gif

Thank you everyone for the input.

@MicahS suggestion of getting extra nose piece is brilliant as I managed to learn about their website for spares.

Also, saw a video where someone uses cross range nose pieces, which come in 3 sizes, to get a perfect fit. Seems crossrange and split shot use very similar nose pieces.

Will update here once I get my hands on my pair.

Thanks once again.

Welcome to the forum!!!

I don't own a pair of split shots, but I do have a pair of gibstons, and I love em! They are extremely lightweight, and the visual field is actually quite large on my big melon! They're very comfy, and the dwp lenses are the best in my honest opinion, but That's just my 2 cents 🤷‍♂️

Another vote for the Gibstons. Just picked up a pair today……love them

Gibston should fit the bill perfectly. That’s what I use for most daily life and they fit my face very well. I’ve found that while Unobtainum rubber tends to stick very well, it also tends to irritate my nose if it’s too dry; as in it’s more geared towards when you’re sweating doing sports or fishing in the summer on a lake. This may not be an issue for you but I would consider this in your decision.

One special note that the Split Shot comes with a strap whereas the Gibston don’t. Doesn’t seem like you’ll need it though unless you really prefer a strap over propping them up on your head when not in use.

Hello hello,

Posting for the first time so excuse me if this has been discussed already.

I have been using Oakley frames for prescription since years and having finally moved on to using contacts have thought about getting a pair of sunglasses in DWP lenses.

Initially I was set to buy gibston but then came across Split Shot and now confused which one to go for.
Heart is set on Split Shot but not sure about longevity of the nose piece and availability if it needs replacing etc.
Gibston has no such silicone rubber parts to worry about.

I won't be using them for any water related activities, they'll purely be for daily use while driving or leisure walking around the city.

Look forward to the expert input.

Thank you
Had some blacked out Gibstons for a few years. No complaints. Solid pair of plain Jane's.

Back