• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Giving New Life To A Old Lens

I did a some searching online and found some different ways. One was PlastX from Meguiars. It's a plastic polish. Let me try it. I have a lens which I can try it on and I use PlastX for my car. I'm at work so I'll let you know after I do it when I get home.

Thanks...i appreciate it. looking forward to the results.

Sorry guys the PlastX didn't do anything.

So I decided to give the Gascan lenses another soak. I put the lenses in the bag about 2.75 hours ago. I'll let them soak overnight and see how much more they blister.

Here's the pic:

DSCN0311.jpg

Used 70% rubbing alcohol from Longs Drug. That is the iridium coating coming off. I took one lens out and the edges and where there were scratches were already bubbling and came off

If you look at the ziplock bag there is almost no air. Just enough alcohol to coat the lenses.

Note, it seems like the weakened areas is where the alcohol is starting from. Nicks and the edges where the lens touch the frame.

Used 70% rubbing alcohol from Longs Drug. That is the iridium coating coming off. I took one lens out and the edges and where there were scratches were already bubbling and came off

If you look at the ziplock bag there is almost no air. Just enough alcohol to coat the lenses.

Note, it seems like the weakened areas is where the alcohol is starting from. Nicks and the edges where the lens touch the frame.

ok i have to get some stronger alcohol.

After 12 hours the lenses were fully krinkled/bubbled. I had to leave for work so they will soak even longer. I'll take a pic before removing them and a pic of what it looks like after.

Here is a pic after a day soaking in the bag:

DSCN0312.jpg

One out of bag, before rinsing:

DSCN0313.jpg

Last one after rinsing, and polishing with PlastX. Notice, the lens still shows visible scratching. Maybe I'll try to use a microfiber cloth to polish to try to eliminate the scratches.

DSCN0314.jpg

maukarunner, your lenses crinkled FAST. were they already peeling? mine are scrathed but not peeling.. and after 3 hours they had not started to peel yet. can you check your bottle of rubbing alcohol? is it isopropyl as well?

maukarunner, your lenses crinkled FAST. were they already peeling? mine are scrathed but not peeling.. and after 3 hours they had not started to peel yet. can you check your bottle of rubbing alcohol? is it isopropyl as well?

Yes 70% isopropyl alcohol. On both the Gascan and the M lenses there was already visible peeling before I started. I could scratch the coating and it would flake off. The M lens wasn't as bad. It was only flaking where it touched my cheeks but that area was already missing the coating.

Try keeping it in overnight and see what happens. I think the alcohol needs to find a week spot and then it will seep in between the lens and the coating. Soak it overnight and pul one lens out of the bag and rub the lens and see if the coating comes off.

If you look at the initial pic. The places where it started to bubble were the spots where the coating was already nicked or weak.

Back