• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Giving New Life To A Old Lens

Maukarunner - maybe its time you check the ingredients list of your alcohol mix that youre using. so far ive had poor results - the juliet lens isnt progressing, and ive put an old Mframe lens in, for 2 days, and all it has done is fog up the surface. can you please share the ingredients list of your alcohol youre using?

for reference, mine is Isopropyl alcohol 70% v/v (by volume).

Maukarunner - maybe its time you check the ingredients list of your alcohol mix that youre using. so far ive had poor results - the juliet lens isnt progressing, and ive put an old Mframe lens in, for 2 days, and all it has done is fog up the surface. can you please share the ingredients list of your alcohol youre using?

for reference, mine is Isopropyl alcohol 70% v/v (by volume).

Mine is a expired(09-2007) bottle of Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol.

From the label: "Active ingredient: 70% Isopropyl Alcohol by volume. Also contains: water."

I would say send them to me and I can give it a shot but shipping from and to Australia might be a killer. I know there are stronger alcohols available. You might want to try the 99% ones. I've read somewhere they cut it with water to slow the evaporation rate.

You are putting it into the ziplock bag and squeezing out the water, right? And these are Oakley brand lenses, right? Man, I don't know why they are working for me and not you.

Mine is a expired(09-2007) bottle of Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol.

From the label: "Active ingredient: 70% Isopropyl Alcohol by volume. Also contains: water."

I would say send them to me and I can give it a shot but shipping from and to Australia might be a killer. I know there are stronger alcohols available. You might want to try the 99% ones. I've read somewhere they cut it with water to slow the evaporation rate.

You are putting it into the ziplock bag and squeezing out the water, right? And these are Oakley brand lenses, right? Man, I don't know why they are working for me and not you.

yes, oakley original lenses, ziplocked and squeeze out the air..or do i have to make it so only very little alcohol is in there? haha maybe being expired makes it stronger? does isopropyl alcohol decompose to another chemical? ill have to dig up my chemistry textbook.. haha!

yes, oakley original lenses, ziplocked and squeeze out the air..or do i have to make it so only very little alcohol is in there? haha maybe being expired makes it stronger? does isopropyl alcohol decompose to another chemical? ill have to dig up my chemistry textbook.. haha!

HAHAHA, don't know but if anything it is weaker than 70%. Would think it would get stronger but since they add water to slow the evaporation then the alcohol would be the one to evaporate first and the solution would be weaker.

If you look at the pic there is very little liquid and the two lenses barely fit in the bag. I was thinking perhaps the bag is somehow causing some kind of pull on the coating but when I did the M-Frame lens it was in a larger bag which I folded to use less liquid. For both it seemed like there was very little liquid touching the lens though.

Latest Posts

Back