• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Giving New Life To A Old Lens

Update to this. I tried a Flak Jacket lens yesterday and it didn't work. I'm thinking the Hydrophobic coating might be the reason the alcohol doesn't work. Is there a listing of the lenses with Hydrophobic coatings?

This is interesting. Makes me want to try a high % orange oil distilled. Need to find some scratched up lenses now.

*guinea pigs achieved. Just awaiting arrival of the test subjects.

Update to this. I tried a Flak Jacket lens yesterday and it didn't work. I'm thinking the Hydrophobic coating might be the reason the alcohol doesn't work. Is there a listing of the lenses with Hydrophobic coatings?

you may be onto something there. the juliet lenses still seem unfazed (te scratched bits are peeling a tiny bit but no progress, and the mframe lenses have started to cloud over but not peeling off. i still havent got around to getting 90%

Finally remembered to nab some oil to try this with today. Starting with the 2nd generation fire (140837724668). Took some before pictures and I'm going to let them soak overnight. Glass jar, so I don't need to worry about the stuff melting a plastic bag.

Finally remembered to nab some oil to try this with today. Starting with the 2nd generation fire (140837724668). Took some before pictures and I'm going to let them soak overnight. Glass jar, so I don't need to worry about the stuff melting a plastic bag.

Great, keep us informed.

Yeti also mentioned Acetone. I'm going to try that too.

i left my juliet lenses in for 2 weeks in the 70% ethanol. the alcohol ate away the plastic where the coating had peeled back (in the cuts and scratches) and etched deep gouges in the lens. plan failed.

Wow, didn't know that alcohol was that strong. I'm going to try the acetone soak tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Ouch on the melting. I wonder how often iridium bubbles/peels without significant damage to the lens underneath?

I thought about acetone as well, I just don't like the idea of putting something washed in a high percent acetone right next to my eyes.

Checked the experiment overnight with d'limonene. Nothing major as far as bubbling yet, but it looks to me like it's starting to peel a bit on the outside edge.

Latest Posts

Back