• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Giving New Life To A Old Lens

Hi. Did you have to polish them based on how they looked or based on what you were seeing or not seeing when you put them on? What did you use to polish them? Thanks!

I wouldn't polish them. My experience with the polishes I use is they all contain some kind of abrasive and will scratch the lens. Just do the alcohol soak until all coating is removed(might have to soak it more than once) and clean with mild soap and water and that's all I would do.

I wouldn't polish them. My experience with the polishes I use is they all contain some kind of abrasive and will scratch the lens. Just do the alcohol soak until all coating is removed(might have to soak it more than once) and clean with mild soap and water and that's all I would do.
That was the same thing I was thinking, but having not done it yet, didn't know if he had experienced some haze or something that had to be "polished" out. That's also why I asked what he used...I am waaaaaaaay wary of using anything that will be abrasive... Thanks for your help!

Hi all,

Meet my 6 months old Oakley Frogskins polarised lenses, with a black iridium coating. I treated my iridium lenses quite badly. There are no scratches in the lens, only in the iridium layer. This is how they look like now. How to save these lenses?

Attachments

• Naamloos.jpg
    Naamloos.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 793
Thanks for this post. I have a pair of polarized gascans that have rendered themselves useless due to the lens coating peeling, so if it doesn't work, no loss. I have both the 70% and 91% rubbing alcohol. I'm opting to use the 70%, I fear the 91% will etch the plastic too much (plus I know from experience the 91% will eat the bag and leak). I would not use acetone, it eats away at plastic easily. Here are some before pics. I will post after pics later.
?embedded=1.jpg
?embedded=1.jpg

wish me luck

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys can anyone help me so i removed the coating. but then my lenses got scratched any thing i can do?

Hey guys. I attempted lense resurrection myself also.

My Gascan s had lenses that were deeply scratched from the previous own. Since it's the s I had to have previously owned. So I sanded down with 1000 grit sandpaper moved to 1200 then 1500. I followed with maguires scratch x on a polishing wheel on my drill going from medium pressure to very light. Then I used maguires plastic headlight Polish doing the same. Finally I used maguires gold class wax. And now the lenses are very usable and clear. They have very very faint micro scratches that don't mess with vision at all and are not noticeable when wearing them.

Hey guys. I attempted lense resurrection myself also.

My Gascan s had lenses that were deeply scratched from the previous own. Since it's the s I had to have previously owned. So I sanded down with 1000 grit sandpaper moved to 1200 then 1500. I followed with maguires scratch x on a polishing wheel on my drill going from medium pressure to very light. Then I used maguires plastic headlight Polish doing the same. Finally I used maguires gold class wax. And now the lenses are very usable and clear. They have very very faint micro scratches that don't mess with vision at all and are not noticeable when wearing them.
I'm betting the optics aren't preserved though.

@Chris A Hardaway ?

Back