• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Glasses other than oakley?

Once a coupon can kick in (like get it down to mid 200's) and funds line up, you might see me change teams for a good minute.

Uvex Variotronic Shield Sunglasses | Competitive Cyclist

Coming in as a shield now draws me in. I don't think it'll necessarily make a better pair of sunglasses vs "regular" photochromic, but I want to play with it. I also want to live out some baller ass "deal with it" moments at a press of a button.

Once a coupon can kick in (like get it down to mid 200's) and funds line up, you might see me change teams for a good minute.

Uvex Variotronic Shield Sunglasses | Competitive Cyclist

Coming in as a shield now draws me in. I don't think it'll necessarily make a better pair of sunglasses vs "regular" photochromic, but I want to play with it. I also want to live out some baller ass "deal with it" moments at a press of a button.

But you have to make sure the battery's charged if you want it to darken?!?

But you have to make sure the battery's charged if you want it to darken?!?

They supposedly have a 50 hour battery life if you use the tinted modes continuously, meaning a charge every 2-3 days. Realistically it's a non-issue unless a major backpacking/touring event is going on. I can't imagine charge time taking long either.

But yeah, it does sound real goofy to charge sunglasses vs. just having a pair with a (photochromic) tint that doesn't require electrical power. It can be a real nice piece for going in and outdoors frequently and not having to place sunglasses on your head or hang on your collar.

They supposedly have a 50 hour battery life if you use the tinted modes continuously, meaning a charge every 2-3 days. Realistically it's a non-issue unless a major backpacking/touring event is going on. I can't imagine charge time taking long either.

But yeah, it does sound real goofy to charge sunglasses vs. just having a pair with a (photochromic) tint that doesn't require electrical power. It can be a real nice piece for going in and outdoors frequently and not having to place sunglasses on your head or hang on your collar.

If they really wanted to be smart, they'd make them solar powered ala Citizen Eco-Drive. Then the same time they're drawing from the battery to create the tint, the same sun the tint is protecting your eyes from is also recharging the battery...

If they really wanted to be smart, they'd make them solar powered ala Citizen Eco-Drive. Then the same time they're drawing from the battery to create the tint, the same sun the tint is protecting your eyes from is also recharging the battery...

I could see where you're coming from in the context that common lcd calculators have such a feature. I personally never knew how effective a solar panel was for a calculator, but also noticed higher end calculators do without it....so maybe the effectiveness-to-cost ratio just wasn't there, or it's a good excuse to bring out a successor.

I could see where you're coming from in the context that common lcd calculators have such a feature. I personally never knew how effective a solar panel was for a calculator, but also noticed higher end calculators do without it....so maybe the effectiveness-to-cost ratio just wasn't there, or it's a good excuse to bring out a successor.

I'm not talking about the solar cells powering the LCD directly, like those calculators. Instead I mean the existing battery powers the LCD tint, and the solar cell recharges the battery, like Eco-Drive. A couple of my Eco-Drives have a hybrid analog / LCD display...

image.jpg

WTF???

WTF???

I dunno if anyone has seen these in person yet, but they are a straight rip from the Maui Jim sport line. Even the green lens. Complete rip off of their Lighthouse model.

I have other glasses besides Oakley. I wear Persol more than anything these days and have 5 pairs. Best looking glasses I've ever had. The lenses are incredible as well.[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Back