• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gold Rivets For My XX

Oakley-olic

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
SoCal
I am planning on installing these in an XX tomorrow. In the X Mans absence I am hoping Oakley will do it. Had them gold dipped. Its a minor detail but thought it would look nice for my project. I will post pics of completion.

GoldRivets_zps19173400.jpg

Thanks, got my fingers X'd. The gold rivets was an afterthought. Just hoping they don't mess up X Mans paint work.

nice veiw of the rivits....now you can see the step up of sizes on the later half.thats how those rivits stay in.they are pressed in with a .0015" interference fit.this is why you will have problems if you dont press them out correctly.if the holes in the bridge get opened up too much they will never stay in.there gonna have to press those in with a protected driver so as not to scratch or crack the gold.did oakley say they would do the job???

One of the techs said he would do it. He wasn't there today, will try again tomorrow. I saw the tools they use, 2 press's, one to remove and one to install. Wish I would have thought about the gold before I sent them to you.

Ps. Impatiently waiting for your return. The frames are pilling up. Hope to see you back when your ready hit me up. Appreciate all the work you have done.

i use a small arbor press,some people out there use a hammer and finishing nail to drive them out....
then they send em to me all f****d up.

Got'er done. Fairly pleased with it. I don't think the gold dipping is all that durable. I may look into gold electroplating but one jeweler I spoke with said they had a lot of trouble with titanium. I am not even sure if the rivets are titanium. I am thinking they are not stainless or Ti as a magnet will pick them up, same as the orbital and stem screws.

Livestrong2_zpsd149df1f.jpg

Livestrong2_zpsfe4cc90d.jpg

Livestrong3_zps8d6d1d22.jpg

Back