• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

GoPro Hero3

dr.chop

I should Work at Oakley
Hey, I figured I would get the opinions of you guys out here that have and use one of these cameras. I have the hero2 and was looking into buying a 3, but some of the reviews (quite a bit actually) have not been so pleasant towards the 3 black edition. Most say it is very glitchy and freezes up, and also has horrible battery life (45 min on regular, and 1:15 with the backpack). Has anyone experienced this at all? And anyone out here with one use it for diving/snorkeling? I would like to see actual vids from actual people not professionally edited so I can gauge if I really want to dump the $400 or not. I would consider trading for one though, and will post a thread for that, but only if the opinions are favorable. Otherwise a 2nd hero 2 may be in line.

Hero2 owner here. Love the Black edition Hero3 but have heard/read same as you. Do you have the LCD backpac on your Hero2? I have one but am away for work and have not had a chance to try it yet.

Cool. I don't have the backapck for mine yet. I have the dive housing, which I found out in Hawaii on my honeymoon last year was an absolute must...I was NOT happy about not getting useable footage on my first day snorkeling. I have the chest harness, moisture pads (anti fog) which while in Hawaii, it fogged horribly in the dive housing, but when I went to Laguna last week, not a bit of fogging...Maybe the humidity and temps in Hawaii just screwed with it, but I did notice the battery got fairly warm. I plan on getting a few of the optional mount kits for it and possibly one of the red filters since I don't care so much for the way the color tones look when you use their software to "correct" the white balance issues for underwater. I should actually try using Adobe instead of their software since I have it...

Never had mine in the water. The battery def. gets pretty warm which causes the fogging. Mine fogged up alittle bit last year while driving up Mt. Palomor but I did not have any moisture pads in it. I now need to learn how to edit what I film, lol.

I certainly plan to get a few more batteries for mine, but also a stand alone charger as well.

I certainly plan to get a few more batteries for mine, but also a stand alone charger as well.
I picked up a charger and 3 batterys on ebay for like $30 or so, for the Hero2.
I also have the LCD BacPac which I dont care for, kills the battery quick.
I use mine for driving videos and I now use the WiFi BacPac and love it.

I had a former coworker who was a dive instructor. He and many of his students had greaat results with the Hero 2 & 3 while diving. The fishbowl effect of the factory housing was the biggest gripe on the two, that was remedied with the 3 in large but not 100% for some. It is no substitute for the dedicated underwater cameras and light attachments, but it served a purpose for the recreational diver. You can find more users here:
http://www.goproforums.com/15-gopro-hd-hero3/
and this is a sub-section on another gopro dedicated forum soley for those using it in water applications.
http://www.goprofanatics.com/watersports/

Latest Posts

Back