• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Got all my Carbon Blades in! A short review...

DrtyHarry

Oakley Expert
Well, I first bought the Ferrari Blade with the polar ruby lenses and I LOVED them. I later picked up a pair of Half Jacket 2.0s as well. The Carbon Blade and the HJ 2.0 are the ONLY new Oakley glasses that I like and fit me well. The HJ 2.0s are nice, but the bridge is a bit thick and is a little distracting until your eyes adjust. Out of all the newer glasses that Oakley makes that I have tried...my nod really goes to the Carbon Blade.

Aside from the Ferrari version, I now have the BIP and the polar ice version as well. I must admit, I like the frame on the Ferrari a bit more...it has a glossy finish, the BIP and ice models have a matte finish. I might pick up a pair of the +O red...I love the lens and the finish of the frame is polished to. If I come across the +O red and the PRIZM at a nice price, I will probably pick them up. I don't understand why I can't purchase replacement lenses from Oakley...you can buy aftermarket lenses for them, but you can't get Oakley lenses....you have to send them in for replacement, and who knows what that will cost. That's the only downside I have found with the Blade. Other than that, I love the Blade. It fits nice and snug around my head and they weigh NOTHING! I would not pay $400-$500 for them...you can find them for less than half that price in the right places. If you are looking for a new pair of Os, check out the Blade.

blades.jpg

As a general rule, if the MSRP is higher than $350, Oakley doesnt want the consumer messing with the lenses. One exception is X Metals.

I bought some Carbon Blades with the daily Prizm lenses. So far I like them a lot. I think the Prizm is my new favorite lense. And you're right, they weigh nothing. I actually prefer the matte finish.

The matte finish is growing on me. You really like the PRIZM lenses huh? How do they hold up for you in BRIGHT sun? I tried them on IN the store, wasn't that happy with them to be honest, and heard mixed reviews about them here. I might just very well pick a pair up. I had a chance to get them for $140 last week, instead I got one BIP and one ICE instead. I may just pick up a pair...if I don't like them, I can just sell em I guess. Do they look a bit "brown" from the outside?

Still...I think it's a bit silly. If they were VERY hard to replace, I could understand it. But don't they lose money not being able to sell extra lenses? I know that many of us have over a dozen types of lenses for some of our X-Metals. Oh well....

And what happens when the Blade is no longer being made? I want back up lenses. So for those who spent $500 on the Ferrari Blade...if they scratch the lenses and want to replace them later on, what do they do if Oakley no longer carries/makes the Blade and doesn't have any lenses in stock? Linegear? Like I said, not being able to get lenses is the biggest downfall of the Blades...I think I will call Oakley and see what they would charge for replacement lenses. I might just remove the lenses from one of my frames, tell them that they broke, and send them back to have them replaced. Hopefully it will only cost the price of what a set of lenses cost. Something to think about.....

And what happens when the Blade is no longer being made? I want back up lenses. So for those who spent $500 on the Ferrari Blade...if they scratch the lenses and want to replace them later on, what do they do if Oakley no longer carries/makes the Blade and doesn't have any lenses in stock? Linegear? Like I said, not being able to get lenses is the biggest downfall of the Blades...I think I will call Oakley and see what they would charge for replacement lenses. I might just remove the lenses from one of my frames, tell them that they broke, and send them back to have them replaced. Hopefully it will only cost the price of what a set of lenses cost. Something to think about.....
This is why I have 40 pairs of Oaks, so i dont have to worry about wearing any out. :cool-20:

This is why I have 40 pairs of Oaks, so i dont have to worry about wearing any out. :cool-20:

I don't have 40...I'm in my 20s. I do have about 25 extra Juliet lenses, 10 for my Pennys, and 20 Big Taco lenses ready to get cut for whatever when I'm ready though. That's not bad! I would need a bigger display case for 40 though...unless I get rid of the stands. lol

Back