• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gotta Save On Gas... Whatever It Takes!

No helmet law in Texas - there was one around 20 - 25 years ago but it got repealed, one of those adults-can-make-their-own-decisions things.

Personally, though I support not having a helmet law, I think riding without one is a Darwin Award-level stupid decision... I probably wouldn't be here today if I hadn't been wearing one in my motorcycle accident...

Re: the pic, I was thinking it's a good thing they weren't trying that on a pocket bike...

But not a school bus... only the bus driver could be ticketed. WTF?!

I keep making the argument to [unnamed] passengers that the driver is also responsible for unbelted passengers (regarding who can get a ticket) but I think the actual law is that only the unbelted person gets a ticket? Am I wrong?

And in my day schoolbuses didn't have seatbelts for us kids - I remember hearing something about they should have them but did that actually happen?

I agree completely - politically I think it's because a seatbelt law, which applies to most everybody, has more weight and less % of complainers. Compared to a smaller slice of bike riders, who have a higher percentage of "don't Bogart my freedom" personality types, and thus were a squeakier wheel and eventually got the grease...

But I don't really know; I'm just guessing. And, despite law enforcement's best efforts, I believe that laws are mostly followed out of people's buy-in - big picture, people don't follow laws out of fear of punishment (at least the majority of people) and primarily cops bust those who don't believe in a law over those who just don't know any better...

...but I'm not a cop and I could have my head up my @ss...

Well check my screen name and guess what I do :). Personally, I think we should have mandatory seat belt and helmet laws. Sometimes we have to save people from their own ignorance. Contrary to what people wanna say, its about saving lives. Far too many people die from failure to use safety equipment.

Well check my screen name and guess what I do :). Personally, I think we should have mandatory seat belt and helmet laws. Sometimes we have to save people from their own ignorance. Contrary to what people wanna say, its about saving lives. Far too many people die from failure to use safety equipment.

Actually I'd never delineated the "BA" from the "PD"... at a glance it comes across to me as a dyslexic "Bad P", whatever that means...:D

I have mixed feelings. I agree, too many people needlessly die from failure to use safety equipment. But I also, as a general practice, believe that it's better to educate people to make responsible decisions than force it on them. Because (among other things) that way you only get what you inspect, and you can't inspect everything... Better to get buy-in...

But at the same time life is really the most valuable thing one owns and there are no second chances; people shouldn't die just because they weren't educated / trained to make responsible decisions...

So, like I said, I have mixed feelings. Good thing I'm not in charge...:king:

I will say that I strongly believe, at a high level, that the principles of freedom on which this Great Country was founded do not allow laws that are meant to protect people from themselves... Constitutional laws should only protect people's freedom from being infringed upon by others' actions, and thus one's own actions should be illegal when they restrict another's freedom...

Back