• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gray Polarized Vs Black Iridium Polarized

Doug Chubb

Oakley Beginner
Indiana
This might have been covered before but I was unable to find anything with my search.

Ive recently learned about and got approval to take part in the Oakley Standard Issue program.
Majority of the glasses sold there come with grey lenses.

im looking for input from people that have used both grey and black iridium lenses.

Thanks

Both are no contrast lenses - means true colors
Grey polarized lets more light in at 17% while black Iridium polarized lets only about 9% in.
Black has the mirror coating, so more reflective, and people can't see your eyes. The opposite for grey.

Grey itself has a few variation: light grey, grey 18%, warn grey (10%)

Here is the complete lens tints from Oakley: http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/lens-tints

My main question about the difference is I've been wearing black iridium for 5 years. If I start wearing grey In a couple frames is the difference going to be substantial?

My main question about the difference is I've been wearing black iridium for 5 years. If I start wearing grey In a couple frames is the difference going to be substantial?
Yes. They're a lot lighter and won't handle glare as well.

I have Grey polarized in a pair of Ten and they're a really nice pair to wear, but when the glare factor is stepped up on a bright day I'd still go for iridium polarized.

Standard grey I don't wear as often, it just doesn't handle bright light for me. For you it might be just fine.

I have Grey polarized in a pair of Ten and they're a really nice pair to wear, but when the glare factor is stepped up on a bright day I'd still go for iridium polarized.

Standard grey I don't wear as often, it just doesn't handle bright light for me. For you it might be just fine.

Thats what I figured but I was looking for insight from someone that's used both. Guess ill just have to order replacement lenses for each pair I order through oakleysi

Rustpot is dead on. If you have the choice between the two and live in an area that gets seriously bright days regularly, BIP is far darker and easier on the eyes. Grey Polarized is a great lens, one of my favorites due to its ability to be worn from morning until night and still provide comfortable protection in all light conditions, while BIP to me is much more of a mid day/afternoon lens.

Grey polarized to me is the best lens to give you that "forgot I'm wearing shades" feeling. It's not super dark, it's not contrast, it's not a fancy color, it's not trying to do anything but perform.

Heavily underrated.

But, as Phoenix and I said, it's not as Ideal as black iridium polarized on something like your afternoon commute home when every car you see has that pinpoint of blinding glare, or out on the water where there's nothing but glare. Not that it won't work, but black will do you one better.

I got gray polarized on my SI Fuel cells and was pleasantly surprised by how dark they were. I was kind of concerned they'd be too light but on my hour commute and spending several days on the lake fishing/boating, I can count on one hand the times I thought, "I wish these were darker." My brother has black iridium non - polarized lenses in his flak jackets and just looking at them you can't tell any difference in how dark they are. I haven't worn his for any extended period though to judge on actual viewing through the lens. Especially if you get polarized, I think gray is perfect for vast majority of situations.

Back