• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gumtree/Craigs List Scam UKASH

siimmon

Oakley Beginner
A scammer tried to swindle £60 out of me. They advertised Juliet's for £60 albeit with a scratch on the lens. Obviously I was curious but sceptical as to why someone would sell a £200+ glasses for cheap, so I messaged and the user got back to me saying that they'd be able to come down to London and possibly stop by wherever is convenient to make the transaction. Later the scammer said that she was "called into work" but that they deal with "lots of Parcelforce products" and that she'd be willing to send the glasses via Parcelforce using a "cash on delivery" system.

Later in the day I received a strange email from an account claiming to be "Parcelforce Worldwide" (royal.mail.invoice.server@gmail.com on behalf of Parcelforce Worldwide (Royal-Mail-Group@consultant.com)). The contents was as follows:

Parcel Tracking details
==================
At the request of Alexa Brown, this notice is to confirm that the following shipment is in transit.
Important delivery information
----------------------------------------------
Temporary parcel number: PBIE5569536882 *Pending-Not valid to track online*
Ships to: Simon Roth-WORK ADDRESS HERE

Payment required within 24 hours:
Instructions:
1. Find a corner shop, newsagent, convenience store, supermarket or outlet that has the PayPoint sign as you can see bellow:

2. Ask the shopkeeper for a £60.00 UKASH voucher.
3. Reply to this invoice directly with a readable scan or a photo of the UKASH receipt.
4. Our department will automatically validate your voucher and release the parcel out for delivery.
5. The delivery agent will call you on *MYPHONENUMBER* 1 hour prior to delivery. You are able to inspect the contents and if satisfied you will need to sign for it. If not, our agent will do a bank transfer and return the parcel as rejected.

--

The scammers take the UKASH receipt number, pocket your £60 and never contact you again. Glad I didn't fall for it.

I reported this to Gumtree and a quick search of the email address comes up on the suspected scammers website (alexa75brown@gmail.com). She keeps reposting adverts however, if you want to look at one here

Just a heads up

You got to love craigslist, you for sure have to know what you're looking at when attempting to buy from CL. I have picked up some nice stuff on there for great prices but there is alot of junk that gets posted also.

Gumtree (which is owned by eBay), is a scammers minefield. I've tried to sell stuff on there but for every 1 genuine interested buyer you'll get 5 scammers. The most typical of which is someone claiming to want to buy the item for their son who is 'a minister on a humanitarian mission to Nigeria, so will I post it to them there? I'll pay you an extra £50 if you will'. I've also had something similar where someone will say they want the item but need it posted, you give them you PayPal contact email and you'll get an email from paypal.administration@gmail.com saying that payment has been sent, the buyer is genuine, but payment won't clear until the item has been sent. It's all rubbish.

At the end of the day Gumtree is for face-to-face trading only, avoid postings things or having things posted to you like the plague, cash on collection once you've seen the item for yourself. I've stopped using Gumtree because it's too much hassle trying to deal with all the scammers.

It's no surprise Gumtree is crap seeing as it's owned and run by eBay. Just like eBay, the customer support is a joke. I've contacted them several times about the fact that their YouTube links pages (you can link to YouTube videos of your product) don't work, and haven't for over 6 months, and nothings ever happened about it.

Guess i've been lucky as i've bought 3 pairs of Oakley from Gumtree & had them all posted to me. BUT on every occasion I have had a mobile contact number for the seller & had contact with them that way too. I've always paid with paypal too. I guess its a question if it feels right. Some of the photos are of fakes & you can spot them & others are genuine but maybe not their item. I have always had additional photos sent. If you're careful you can still pick up a bargin but you haveto be asking questions & if the response isn't right just walk away. I'd NEVER sell on there though. Like jk say's it can be too much hassle.

I picked up some clear frame violet iridium Fuel Cells for £50 off Gumtree. Checking against my Ducati Fuel Cells everything looks legit (frame, size, fuel cell & made in usa markings, correct reference number 009096, and reference number matches box) so i'm pleased I got a bargain.

I'll keep looking but I'm very wary now

Back