• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hair gel WILL ruin Oakley lenses (duh)

I wonder what's in that hair gel that would eat coatings off the toughest lenses made.
Mostly I wonder why anyone would put such a solvent on top of their heads, where it can be absorbed through the most porous skin.
I also wonder why anyone would need sunglasses on their hair.
I wonder too much...
Yeah, I'm definitely guilty of popping them onto my head when I walk in a store from outside. Too much of a pain to keep putting them in their case when I'm out and about. I HATE hair gel, keep my head buzzed and at the worst my lenses get a little oil from my hair on them. Clean them every time I use them and have had no peeling issues. I rarely sell on ebay, too many dishonest people on there who sometimes pretend to be misinformed just to scam you.

I was wondering, will some Oakley lenses deteriorate over time even if they never are worn ?
Talking about brand new lenses you keep in the oakley bag.

Last edited:
I was wondering, will some Oakley lenses deteriorate over time even if they never are worn ?
Talking about brand new lenses you keep in the oakley bag.
I've definitely heard of this happening before maybe it has something to do with humidity or the way they are stored?

I wouldn't be surprised if humidity messed with the coating. Just store them in a cool dry place. The ones I'm talking about are brand new in the foam pouches.

I don't KNOW that humidity will do anything to them. I just store anything I don't want ruined in low or no humidity on GP.
Right, thank you........ but just to be sure i will stop storing them under my balls.
Otherwise a great place to put them when you walk into a store and you don´t wanna wear them on the top of your head, because you know..........HAIRGEL !

Latest Posts

Back