• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Half X. Is It Really A Sought After X Metal Or Will It Ever Be?

great comments from everyone, I am sold for sure on picking up a pair. My collection include so far....2 pair 1st gen Juliet X-Metal serials, 1 Penny x metal non-serial, Romeo 2 carbon, tio2 XX 1st 6000's serial, Romeo 1 11,000 with original red ear socks, Mars Leather 12,000 serial, X squared carbon emerald, and now I am thinking a plasma half x frame with ice would round out the collection. I was also thinking about a vr28 or ichiro but these are more like cherries so to speak maybe a 24k XX to bring in the original gold colorway. All my stuff is BNIB too so its like my little museum/ backdrop for my wearable stuff.

im almost certain that only the first run romeo1's ( 4-digit serial) came with "jordan red" rubbers.

im almost certain that only the first run romeo1's ( 4-digit serial) came with "jordan red" rubbers.

They are authentic with no USA on the ear rubbers. I know of a few other things that are tell tale signs of authenticity but I don't need to mention them.

I personally got them from an eye doctor when the Romeos first came out and back then red socks only existed on the Romeos. He had them brand new in the box which was given to him as a demo from Oakley but he tried to fill a prescription for a customer. He could not make lenses for the Romeo back then and he gave them to me instead. People can make their own determination about the 1st 10,000, I am not looking for the an argument. 10,000 sounds like a convenient number to me for collectors to make a claim... but ya..11,000's mint in the box, match serial with authentic red rubber non the less, they are rare no matter what people want to believe so it makes no difference to me

They are authentic with no USA on the ear rubbers. I know of a few other things that are tell tale signs of authenticity but I don't need to mention them.

I personally got them from an eye doctor when the Romeos first came out and back then red socks only existed on the Romeos. He had them brand new in the box which was given to him as a demo from Oakley but he tried to fill a prescription for a customer. He could not make lenses for the Romeo back then and he gave them to me instead. People can make their own determination about the 1st 10,000, I am not looking for the an argument. 10,000 sounds like a convenient number to me for collectors to make a claim... but ya..11,000's mint in the box, match serial with authentic red rubber non the less, they are rare no matter what people want to believe so it makes no difference to me

Is it actually number 11000?

They are the only pair of metals i can comfortably wear running, cycling etc. The others either have coverage/peripheral vision issues, or are too nose heavy and wont stay put. Essentially they are like an X-Metal Flak Jacket. Commercially they are also one of the more successful metals. That said they are pretty boring stylistically, a great pair for people who want an X-metal without drawing too much attention to themselves, but that has always been part what makes X-metals special. They are the functional, practical X-metal, so in that sense they are the black sheep of the group, and i think that also harms their value as a collectable.

Mine has a 4 digit serial with the plain red rubbers. I'm curious to know what other tell tale signs you're speaking of...not looking to start an argument, just curious. I noticed that you didn't claim yours were "Jordan Romeos" either.

Mine has a 4 digit serial with the plain red rubbers. I'm curious to know what other tell tale signs you're speaking of...not looking to start an argument, just curious. I noticed that you didn't claim yours were "Jordan Romeos" either.

I knew someone was going to ask that,lol... things like what came in the box, label, warranty card. In regards to the "Jordon Romeo" I have heard collectors make claims of all kinds of things with the red ear sock since the beginning. I got mine this way but I don't want to create a hoopla claiming "Jordon Edition" that goes against the O-review site labeling them that way in 4 digit. People "officially" claim the 4 digit as the Jordon Edition which is fine but I think this was more so because the zero in front of10k. I think people just assumed that because they went to a 6 digit serial number at 10k that they changed the ear socks too at that time . I got my pair in 97 and they came this way but I leave it up to collectors to make their determinations which they will do anyway. I think people can agree though, anyway you determine this, they are still mega rare.

They are the only pair of metals i can comfortably wear running, cycling etc. The others either have coverage/peripheral vision issues, or are too nose heavy and wont stay put. Essentially they are like an X-Metal Flak Jacket. Commercially they are also one of the more successful metals. That said they are pretty boring stylistically, a great pair for people who want an X-metal without drawing too much attention to themselves, but that has always been part what makes X-metals special. They are the functional, practical X-metal, so in that sense they are the black sheep of the group, and i think that also harms their value as a collectable.

Interesting, so the design is actually pretty good for vision outside of the way they look otherwise... Sometime us collectors get too wrapped up about how they look on the shelf I guess.lol

I knew someone was going to ask that,lol... things like what came in the box, label, warranty card. In regards to the "Jordon Romeo" I have heard collectors make claims of all kinds of things with the red ear sock since the beginning. I got mine this way but I don't want to create a hoopla claiming "Jordon Edition" that goes against the O-review site labeling them that way in 4 digit. People "officially" claim the 4 digit as the Jordon Edition which is fine but I think this was more so because the zero in front of10k. I think people just assumed that because they went to a 6 digit serial number at 10k that they changed the ear socks too at that time . I got my pair in 97 and they came this way but I leave it up to collectors to make their determinations which they will do anyway. I think people can agree though, anyway you determine this, they are still mega rare.

dont get us wrong, we're not sayjng theiyre fake. im just interested to know if its possible that somewhere along the line, they were swapped, or wqually likely, there were batch differences in production. its just, 11,000 is abit high for this kinda thing but you'll never know. odds are they found a bunch of leftover red socks along the way and just put them on. things were't so stringent back then.

Back