• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Half X Maintenance After Phase Out?

tedinblack

Oakley Beginner
VAB/NYC
Now that X Metals are being discontinued, I'm sure the tune ups and spare parts will eventually disappear as well. I have a few pairs of Half X. I take good care of them, and can remove the spring hinges and put them back together, change lenses and make adjustments with no problem.

They are not as intricate as other X Metals, but is there something that will eventually wear out and need to be replaced? The rubber bits still look like new, and I don't really change lenses as I have a separate pair for each color. Oakley won't sell the torx screws. Is there an aftermarket screw I can stock up on? It seems to be the weak point of the line.

hi, sorry im a bit late on this thread, just tried to fix my Half X / X Metal frame. Now i recognized the spring connecting the earpiece with the rest of the frame is damaged... oakley service cant help :( anyone else? would pay a very good price!:help:
nr 04-143
thx

hi, sorry im a bit late on this thread, just tried to fix my Half X / X Metal frame. Now i recognized the spring connecting the earpiece with the rest of the frame is damaged... oakley service cant help :( anyone else? would pay a very good price!:help:
nr 04-143
thx
At this point there is nothing available. With continued interest someone may start doing repairs on them.

a screw machine house could make whatever you want but you have to buy thousands to get them to start the job.

After getting my first pair of Half-X's and loving them I agree with the sentiments here. I replaced the lenses a few times and found the process to be easy, and even deconstructed the pair to see how it all went together. Once again, everything went fine. Upon tightening of one of the screws it started slipping so I immediate stopped in fear of stripping the screw (still think it stripped a little). Still love the pair but I am hesitant to wear it or work on it considering the lack of replacement parts.

I plan on seriously looking into this and seeing if the screws can't be found/fabricated. It seems inevitable that these parts will be needed by a large number of owners so I am hopeful someone will find an answer to restoring the Half X line eventually.

I plan on seriously looking into this and seeing if the screws can't be found/fabricated.

It would be a miracle to find these readily available. The last screw sourcing project that I was involved with was a 5K MOQ @ .75 each. I don't see how the Half-X can support that volume so it would have to be off-the-shelf.
That only fixes one of the issues though.
I saw a three year-old thread in a firearms site yesterday, guy was pissing up a sh*t storm because the hinge was broken and warranty wouldn't fix it. So many posts followed that called him a baby that it was actually very funny. Comparing Oakley to Catepillar - who supports all of their products EVER made. It's probably a pricy service but they do it, and he felt Oakley should do it too. But if they did he would just piss and moan about the cost.
My point? Oh yeah, that's why I never collected the Half-X; a really nice design with a terminal flaw. If Dr Chop or The XMan haven't come up with a fix by now it likely ain't gonna happen.

Latest Posts

Back