• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Half X Maintenance After Phase Out?

A very good friend of mine is a master engineer.. He even fabricated his own adjustable air ride suspension for his campervan.

I'm certain he could find or make the screws..

I don't disagree that it won't be an easy solution, but if everyone took that perspective nothing would ever get accomplished. The only way you are going to find a solution is if you look for one! With that said, I don't expect solutions to be readily available, otherwise Xman and others would of already figured it out.

As far as your point that you didn't collect the Half-X that's really irrelevant, plenty of people did collect the Half-X and would appreciate a way to service them. The fact you decided not to purchase the Half-X or that people complain about things really has nothing to do with this discussion. I am sure if Oakley started servicing the Half-X for the same prices they do other X-metals numerous people would be ecstatic, and like anything, you would get people that complain (which they would do either way so that is not any kind of a point you can hang your hat on).

Also, I don't know if I would agree that the Half-X has a terminal design flaw, its just that Oakley/other aftermarket manufacturers haven't produced replacement pieces for the Half X yet. You don't say the Juliet or Romeo has a terminal design flaw because their screws strip or eventually they become loose, you just send them off to Oakley or the Xman. I understand the point you are trying to make CarGuy but I see no purpose of the negative outlook that the Half-X just sucks and is a lost cause. Personally I believe in the power of positive thought, that if their is a will their is a way, as long as their is hope yata yata etc etc. I am certainly not trying to start an argument, but I am simply trying to make the point that with that perspective CarGuy, nothing would ever get solved or fixed. Their are other ways to constructively provide advice without dismissing a whole group of people who are only trying to help!

That's the kind of solution/discussion we are looking for Wavecloud!!! That was my thought as well, obviously getting a custom screw company to fill an order would be incredibly expensive and the quantity, as you said Carguy, would not likely be supported by the demand. However, someone just needs to have a buddy who does this kind of work and Viola, we have a potential solution in the works. I called my uncle who is an aircraft engineer and he was looking into getting some time on one of their lathe's in the production end. I also contacted a buddy in the sign/graphic arts profession who does a ton of fabrication work for high-end clients. He always has all these odd little fabrication requests and deals with a few odd manufacturers so I contacted him. He is also looking into this issue. It may not be an easy to find solution, and it may not be a rapid solution, but with dedication, perseverance, and some patience I am of the opinion just about anything can be accomplished (without paying 3 grand for an order of 5000 custom screws, which is always an option if anyone on here has a lot of disposable income! haha).

Just as an FYI for those interested I am going to continue looking into this and will update as necessary. I wouldn't anticipate seeing any rapid developments on this front, but hey you never know (I guess these people have these things called jobs and lives that take up their time, I don't know what those are but apparently my custom screw requests aren't everyone's top priority... Crazy, I know, please forgive my friends and family haha)!

I am certainly not trying to start an argument, but I am simply trying to make the point that with that perspective CarGuy, nothing would ever get solved or fixed. Their are other ways to constructively provide advice without dismissing a whole group of people who are only trying to help!
No beef here my friend, making the forum a better place is why I hope that we are all here!
To that end I wanted to share with you my personal experience with sourcing these unique screws and the outlay that is required to get a run done. Ask Qtrain- one of our most resourceful members how he fared when trying to source screws and other bits. He is deep in the RC business and had terminal issues although these types of screws are myriad in that arena. However if you have a friend in the manufacturing arena that would be willing to undertake something like this without the hurdles that a stranger/outsider encounters then you are miles ahead of the game.

Screws are the easiest part, however the fatal design flaw that I alluded to is not the screws:
Oakley sunglasses - I'll never purchase another item from Oakley. - Page 1 - AR15.COM
Oakley. A great American company with great customer service. - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
Half-X Hinges | Oakley Forum
Oakley Complaints, Reviews - Pay a premium for glasses, don't expect customer service!
When the hinge goes, they're done. No Xman, no HQ tune-ups.

I don't know what those are but apparently my custom screw requests aren't everyone's top priority...
Yup. Ask Infinite Hero about his experiences in trying to source his screws and how long it took to find the right guys.

Keep cutting new trails!

Thanks CarGuy, your response is appreciated! I figured you didn't mean anything in a negative manner, not the style of this forum haha.. but I hear you in the problems you state. I definitely recognize the inherent difficulties of just procuring the custom screws, but thanks for looking out for a fellow member. I just didn't want to kill anyone's hope that this was an insurmountable task or dissuade anyone from trying to put the effort in. And I did notice the issues with the hinges and went through quite a few posts just on this forum (and in my hunt for parts found quite a few of the posts you listed!). however, my feeling was that the spring hinge on the Half X was a simple enough design to be worked on by someone with the right technical know-how. Not sure if that is true or not as I am certainly not that person haha! I also kind of figured guys like Xman would be a lot more likely to work on this frame if the screws became available.

So thank you CarGuy for the warning/cautionary tales of the difficulties of this quest, I'm prepared for the long haul (a true quest for the holy grail, just didn't think a grail would be replacement parts for a Half X haha) likely ending in failure. But hey you just can't know until you try!!! I have hope that with this "design flaw" being so prevalent someone will eventually figure out an solution.

Back