• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

HAlf-X metal lens question

Thanks fellas. Actually...one more thing that drew me to considering the Half X was the fact that it has spring hinges like the Square Wires I've been wearing for most of my life. I have 5 pairs of Square Wires, and they all have the spring hinge. Even the titanium frame version I have has the spring hinge and they are one of the reasons why I think I like the Square Wires I have more than almost any other pair. I'm only now hearing that the hinges are problematic. I did read that they have a different design to them, but I had assumed it was an improved design seeing how the Half-X was introduced in 2008, and the Square Wire 2.0 in 1999. So I expected a improved design. I love the spring hinges on my Pennys, but some have lost tension over the years, Oakley USA won't touch them (most of the time), Oakley in the UK will repair them...but I only use the X-Man for all tuning jobsll And if I'm not mistaken, the R2s don't have the spring hinges...they do have the t-shock system that the Juliets and other X-Metals have. I can deal with that. Wish I could see side by side pics of them. Ideally, I'd love something like the Half Jacket 2.0 but in a metal frame with spring loaded hinges...but will be happy with the adjustable t-shock size system.

iirc HJ2 is slightly bigger than Flak. Flak is pretty much the same size as a Juliet in terms of fitting. Half X is smaller than Juliet. R2 may be bigger than Juliet but I've never measured them.

If a tightly tuned Penny works for you, then the Half X should fit on easily without issues. Half X has the most conservative X-Metal design - it's not as "out there" as the other metals and look relatively more "civilized" like a metal version of Flak/Half Jacket. Custom cut lenses with XL/XLJ style can be easily done without dramas. It's by far an easier cut than an R2 which requires significantly more effort.

Half X are absolute ****. Not worthy of being called X Metal. You'll stay away from 'em if ya know what's good fer ya!

iirc HJ2 is slightly bigger than Flak. Flak is pretty much the same size as a Juliet in terms of fitting. Half X is smaller than Juliet. R2 may be bigger than Juliet but I've never measured them.

If a tightly tuned Penny works for you, then the Half X should fit on easily without issues. Half X has the most conservative X-Metal design - it's not as "out there" as the other metals and look relatively more "civilized" like a metal version of Flak/Half Jacket. Custom cut lenses with XL/XLJ style can be easily done without dramas. It's by far an easier cut than an R2 which requires significantly more effort.

Thanks...I tried on both the Falk and Half Jacket 2.0 a found the HJ 2.0 with standard lenses to be smaller. I was hoping to get the Flaks as I like the socks on them better....but the Half Jacket 2.0 with regular lenses (not XL) were smaller and fit like a glove. Looking at the pics, the R2 looks really nice (as did the Flak), I'm just worried that the R2 will be too large for me. Anyone know if the X-Man can tune the hinges on the Half X? So if I understand correctly, the R2 is bigger...a great deal more than the Half X? And I heard how hard it is to have Romeo lenses made. But if they really are bigger than the Juliets, they are probably not for me. Anyone have a pic of them next to one and other? Thanks for helping me out...they stopped making OO red polar lenses for the Half Jacket 2.0...not sure why. Should have them tmro. Plan on using the Half Jackets for when on the beach or while running and doing outdoor activities. And my Juliets and Pennys for just chilling outdoors, driving, touring, etc. As much as I love them...wearing them all day can be a bit heavy/much. I love my Square Wires...but looking for a change that looks like an X-Metal...just not as heavy. And heard the Half-X is light...as is the Romeo 2.

Half X are absolute ****. Not worthy of being called X Metal. You'll stay away from 'em if ya know what's good fer ya!
A lot seem to agree...guess that's why they are so cheap. I trust you guys so will probably pass. I need to look more into the R2. Can someone post a pic of an R2 next to a Juliet and or Penny by chance? If not...a Half Jacket 2.0 so I can get a better idea of the size? What do R2s run for these days? THANKS!!

image.jpg

Juliet and R2

image.jpg

Flak Jacket XLJ and R2

image.jpg

Penny and R2

My picture taking skills suck, so I hope this helps.

WoW...the R2 really does look nice!! I think I might be able to get into a pair. The lenses are a bit better, just not sure if they will fit. How much do the R2's sell for....and lenses?

OK...so I'm going to start keeping my eye open for an R2. If it doesn't fit right, I'll just pass it along here or just keep it for the sake of adding another X-Metal to my collection. I only "collect" Penny and Juliet. What would a fair price be for an R2 in good condition? And prices for lenses? I'm guessing the R2 weighs a good deal more than the Half-X...right?

OK...so I'm going to start keeping my eye open for an R2. If it doesn't fit right, I'll just pass it along here or just keep it for the sake of adding another X-Metal to my collection. I only "collect" Penny and Juliet. What would a fair price be for an R2 in good condition? And prices for lenses? I'm guessing the R2 weighs a good deal more than the Half-X...right?
Wouldn't say it weighs more. Generation varies for pricing as well as colorway

Latest Posts

Back