• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

HalfJacket 2.0 Lenses Question?

MelonFarmer

Oakley Beginner
New here and probably have a stupid question about my lenses.

I bought my first pair of Oakley's about 4 months ago. I purchased the Flak Jacket 2.0 with the black polarized lenses. I picked them up from our local Academy Sports. The glasses are great for sports, I am big into ultimate frisbee and mountain biking and these frames stay put. It's getting warmer here in Arkansas so the glasses tend to fog up when getting out of the truck air conditioner and into the heat (no big deal). When i pulled off my glasses one day to let them clear up i noticed a circle of a grid pattern on each lens. You can only see it when they are fogged up. I am assuming this is from the polarized part of the lens but i am not positive. The issue i have noticed is the circle of the grid is perfectly centered on the left lens but it is off to the high right on the right lens. Is this normal? I don't notice any distortion that i can think of out of the lenses but then again I don't have a reference point.

Thanks for any info, and if its a stupid question i apologize. I cannot find anything regarding this.

I have never taken my sunglasses off when they fogged up when walking out of the house or getting out of the car. They only fog up for me only for a couple of seconds though. Maybe someone else can chime in for you but I have no idea. I'll try to pay attention to mine if I can.
And welcome to the forum.

Looks to us like this is the Polarised filter you can see here. Almost looks like the moisture is beginning to separate the lenses from the filter.

I wouldn't worry too much about the position of the 'grid' pattern, it will just be where the lenses are exposed to the change in temperature the most.

This kind of separation can be caused by continued exposure to extreme changes in temperature, however I have never actually seen it before.

Our advice would be to return the lenses/sunglasses back to Oakley for assessment if these are still under warranty. Alternatively if they are out of warranty it may be worth considering getting a new set of lenses.

Of course if this does not last for very long once they are acclimatised to the warmth and the optics are not affected, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Odd, it looks as if the "filters" are round with two flat sides. No other part of the lens has the grid ever. These are only a few months old so the problems wouldn't be related to continuous exposure on my part. I never notice it unless they fog up. So its not an issue for daily wear. I just would've thought that the filters would be located in the same place, center of the eye would make most sense to me. I will contact Oakley and see what they have to say. If its no issue then i will just rock on.
Thanks for the help

The 'circles' that you can see will just be where the filter is separating from the lens - the filter itself extends across the entire lens. You are effectively seeing a snippet of the filter in one area.

If you are worried about this in any way, we advise getting them sent back to Oakley and send your images with it.

Bear in mind that you have a 1 year warranty and after this time it is unlikely that they will do any repairs or replacements FOC.

Hope this helps.

Thanks alot. I'm not trying to nitpick it just was nothing i have ever seen before and being new to these glasses i wondered if it was room for concern.
Thanks again for all your help.

Back