• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hammer Earstems On Juliets

Not all of it.

The Ichiro WBC Champ pair is a straight stem X Metal/Slate Iridium release.

rapaqa3y.jpg

they "stick out" and fit the same only the hammers have a kink in them. If you lay a hammer on top of a straight you will see what im talking about.
Hey X-MAN thanks for chiming in on my post. I hope to do some business with you in the near future...

In the time since I originally started this post I've picked up a pair of polished Juliets with hammers so I've been able to compare them to my other straight stem Juliets firsthand. The polished frame was a bit flashier than I expected (I wear plasma most often) but it took less than a day to dig it. I like the hammers but don't yet have a preference for one over the other.

On a related note, CarGuy posted a link on my thread about Mag M Frames that mentions the origin of the hammer design; interesting:

"The M Frame has evolved from a replacement for the Blade System to the modern piece of sports equipment we know today.

In late 1989, Oakley released the Mumbo (as most names then still had long titles) as a form of self-competition in order to phase out the Blades, but still keep sales high with the new model. The Mumbo was originally designed with straight stems like the Blades, however just prior to their release, Jim Jannard took the stems and 'hammered' them into the shape they soon became and thus providing the name 'hammer stems'. The patent for the decorative design had already been submitted, so these record show the original design. The straight stem release did remain for the Sub Zero's two years later and for the Baseball specific M Frame models.

The three original lens shapes were V, 67 and Hybrid, which was roughly an approximation of the two. In 1990 soon after their initial release, there was a conflict with Mambo clothing over the name, so it was switched to the M Frame while still keeping the term Mumbo on the box in order to lessen confusion over the name change."

M Frames

Last edited:
Do the hammer stems fit any different than the normal Juliet stems? Thanks for the info guys, very helpful!

In the time since I started this thread I've picked up a couple of polished Juliets and can confirm what x-man said earlier, the main length of the stems behind the hammers line up and fit exactly the same as normal Juliet stems. The only difference is the hammer dogleg causes the stem to stick out more near the orbital hinge, giving a more aggressive look. When you're wearing them they don't feel any different.

I always thought it would be kind of cool to see what Romeos would look like with straight stems...

The hammer stem I find gives more clearance at the sides when putting on and taking them off. Regarding the Romeo, the mi2 version did have straight stems and not hammers if you look closely. Someone mentioned this a little while ago (brip I think) and I had not noticed :)

Hammers don't fit as good under helmets as straights do IMHO. The fit is the same as noted but the hammers are less less user-friendly for motorsports.

Latest Posts

Back