1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Wally Taylor

Wally Taylor Oakley Enthusiast

Hand Carved Oakley Moons - image.jpeg Hand Carved Oakley Moons - image.jpeg Hand Carved Oakley Moons - image.jpeg Hand Carved Oakley Moons - image.jpeg I bought a brand new pair of Oakley Moon Glasses maybe 20 years ago. After about 8 years, the frames just cracked around the lenses and I couldn't wear them. I had taken REALLY good care of them, so the lenses were perfect. I wasn't going to just let the lenses lay around and get scratched.
    I had a really nice Teak board, and being a woodcarver, I got my tools, and spent many hours hand carving a set of frames for those great lenses. I'll try to post a few pictures. Teak is a very light wood, so they don't weigh much more than the original frames .And, this is my first post, so Hello everybody. My name's Wally. Here are my Teak Moons.

Last edited: 7/19/16
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. the_owl

the_owl Oakley Expert

damn dude.

Wally Taylor likes this.
  3. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

I agree

And welcome to the forum

Wally Taylor likes this.
  4. Slojack

Slojack Oakley Collector Premium Member

Candidate for best first post, ever?

5. Wally Taylor

Thank You for the welcome. I've always loved Oakleys so I should have been here long ago. I'll try not to be a stranger. I've carved a pair each for my Brother and Sister, along with these.
    I have a really cool pair of Oakley 24K Polarized iridium that I bought on eBay. I think they were off of XX's or something like that. They will be the last ones that I carve, but they should be really cool. They take a long time to carve, so that's why they're going to be the last.
    Anyway, it's great to be here. The thing that I like about carving them is knowing that no one else in the world has a pair exactly like them. It gives You a cool perspective on the world. Thanks again!

Funky-Trixtar likes this.
  6. Nortika

Nortika Oakley Expert Premium Member

Welcome aboard, those look sweet, awesome job

Wally Taylor likes this.
  7. Dieseltech

Dieseltech Oakley Expert Premium Member

Looks like you did a really good job!

Wally Taylor likes this.
  8. Wally Taylor

Thanks. They're the first eyeglass frames that I ever carved. They are really comfortable, and one of my ears is lower than the other, so I was able to accommodate my crooked head. I made a pair of prescription Ray Bans for my Brother. He gave me a pair of his prescription lightweight polymer prescription lenses, and I inlayed them behind the Ray Ban Wayfarer lenses, so they had 4 lenses, but he wears them every day, and they work great.
    I'm looking forward to making my Teak XX 24K Polarized glasses. They will be my last pair, and I know how to do it right now. These were kind of an experiment, but I really loved my Moons, so I was motivated. I just have to find someone who needs a Moon box and paperwork now, because they aren't doing me any good.
    Thanks again folks. Anyone with enough time on their hands can do it.

Last edited: 7/20/16
  9. Funky-Trixtar

Funky-Trixtar Me ,some time ago............. Premium Member

Greetings.
    What is the box from please: F.M.J, Tortoiseshell or Black frames?(think I know the answer all ready......and for how much) Thank you.
    Edt: sorry, not wanting to break any rules on here. You may have to wait till your 15th post before being eligible for selling.

Last edited: 7/20/16
    Wally Taylor likes this.
  10. HaoleBilt

HaoleBilt Oakley Collector

Nice woodwork! I've seen them made of Koa too. Did you have to treat the wood?

Wally Taylor likes this.