• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

HARDEST/MOST DIFFICULT Lens Swap??! What Have You Tried! SHARE!

THIS http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/mag-switch-lens-removal-guide.14097/#post-227346

was by far my hardest lens swap. atrain reckons the SPIKE lenses are also a PITA to get in and out of the frame (i agree) but the Mag Switch is just way more difficult - i mean, you will almost certainly damage the lens, and frame coating just trying to get it out of the frame!

anyone else have horror stories??

Sorry, no horror story...I try to avoid horrors when dealing with my Oaks ;)

But I gotta agree with you on the Mag Switch. I contemplated swapping out the lenses on mine since I'm not real big on Ice Iridium lenses. But after giving everything the once-over and doing a couple "a little pressure here, a little pressure there" dry runs, I decided not to risk it. The ceramic coating is already delicate as it is, and since the frames are in great shape and these things are becoming ever rarer, I decided discretion was the better part of valor. So even though I'm not a huge fan of Ice, those suckers are in there for the long term. I can live with 'em.

Could never figure out why they called the frame color "Ti Copper", though. Doesn't look very copper-ish to me. Looks a lot closer to x-metal...but I guess since it's technically not an x-metal frame, they couldn't call it that.o_O

Sorry, no horror story...I try to avoid horrors when dealing with my Oaks ;)

But I gotta agree with you on the Mag Switch. I contemplated swapping out the lenses on mine since I'm not real big on Ice Iridium lenses. But after giving everything the once-over and doing a couple "a little pressure here, a little pressure there" dry runs, I decided not to risk it. The ceramic coating is already delicate as it is, and since the frames are in great shape and these things are becoming ever rarer, I decided discretion was the better part of valor. So even though I'm not a huge fan of Ice, those suckers are in there for the long term. I can live with 'em.

Could never figure out why they called the frame color "Ti Copper", though. Doesn't look very copper-ish to me. Looks a lot closer to x-metal...but I guess since it's technically not an x-metal frame, they couldn't call it that.o_O
haha yeah well it looks like a light version of xmetal.. but i agree i dont see the copper. unless theres a titanium-copper alloy that is that exact color? i'll google it later lol

Cool. If you do happen to google it, post what you find out.
I always liked the looks of the Mag Switch. It's kinda like a "if a Monster Dog humped a Penny" design. It would be cool to see this design reincarnated using a different alloy and a more robust finish (not to mention lenses that are easier to swap :)) .

Cool. If you do happen to google it, post what you find out.
I always liked the looks of the Mag Switch. It's kinda like a "if a Monster Dog humped a Penny" design. It would be cool to see this design reincarnated using a different alloy and a more robust finish (not to mention lenses that are easier to swap :)) .

im on mobile now so its abit of a pita. but i saw something about a high strength, alloy.... haha. probably wishful thinking on Oakleys part :)

ok, this may sound stupid and I will say I have never tried it on the wire frames. But.. once you get the old lens out, couldnt you heat up the frame to expand the metal just a bit and chill the lens to get the it to slide in a bit easier?

Weirdly I didn't find my Spikes too difficult to change but then I was putting in aftermarket lenses that were a bit thinner. You do need strong nails though!

I really wish I could get OEM lenses for them as I really like them but hate the VL lenses so they now don't get worn

This may sound silly but I have a battle with my x squared every now and then. The bottom corner by the orbital screw is deep and threatens to gouge my lenses. I've had easy swaps and I've had pita runs too. What is the best series of areas to push out first ? Lol :oops:

Latest Posts

Back