• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Has Anyone Had Their Oakleys Save Their Eyes In Real Life?

A couple of years back, my sister was learning how to snowboard- she was one of those people that hated wearing goggles whilst boarding (how stupid).

One glorious morning I forced her to wear my A-Frames (at least I think they were A-frames, either that or Crowbars) and later on she had a massive snowboarding accident.

Long story short, it involved a snowboard edge, her face being sliced open along the cheekbone, her cheek muscle popping out, lots of blood, airlifting to another city for plastic surgery etc.

Only thing that saved her eyesight were my Oakley goggles. Horrid experience, especially when you have to hold her face together with your bare hands...
my brother hates wearing snow goggles when snowboarding. yes its stupid.
he also ****ed up his back several years ago.

Nowhere near as graphic as other stories here, but I used to do a lot of mountain biking - which obviously involves some occasional spills. You name it, I've hit it! I've fallen into gorse bushes that have cut my face up, and my M-Frame lenses told the story of what would have happened to my eyes if I hadn't been wearing them. My +Red ones in particular were scratched to hell when I finally called time on MTB and got rid of them.

I now road-bike quite a bit instead (faster faster faster!), and commute to work by bike.
When you put in road miles, it's not unusual to feel and hear the ping of stones hitting your lenses, from being penged up off the road by the tyres of passing cars - similar to what causes stone chips on the bonnet of your car. If you're not wearing eye protection when cycling, those stones are in your eyes.

Wow; never expected to see so many stories from members.

Glad you are all safe and recovered.

I was doing some polishing on the underside of my hood to remove some waterspots, I had to resort to some crappy glasses with clear lenses just in case some product slung out into my eye. One of these days I'll need to invest in a set of Oakley lenses for shooting at the range and whatnot.

Some idiot threw a rock off a small cliff with people standing below it, namely me, my girlfriend, my parents and brother and other people... It hit me right in the glasses as I looked up.

The lens popped out and the frame broke on the orbital. Luckily, I just had to deal with a black eye and two or three scratches. The doctor said that if it wasn't for the glasses the rock could've detached my retina...

Funny thing is that some stranger went ahead and kicked the guy's ass for throwing the rock while saying that it could've hit him... And it could as he was no more than 2 meters away from me.

Fives 3.0 Ducati BTW

Latest Posts

Back