• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Has Anyone Painted A Double Or Single Wide?

hearno

Oakley Collector
I have the opportunity to get a 3.0 tower but due to the smaller size, I'm on the fence. I like my doublewide but would prefer the look of the black case. I was thinking about it and figured it would be possible to just paint my doublewide. Any thoughts on that? Shouldn't be too difficult, right? I'd want a flat black color. Rattle can it or maybe even have it professionally done. Any input?

I am in the process of painting a 3.0 cabinet. It needed a little work and I didn't care for the textured flat finish. Its hard to clean, so I chose a black gloss hammer finish. If you go flat without the texture I think that would be best. On the aluminum you will probably want to use a zinc chromate primer first. It is available from paint shops in the smaller qty that you would need but also available in the rattle cans. If you go pro, powder coating would be an option.

Contacted a local powder coater. Does anyone know if the plexiglas can be easily removed from the doublewides? Not the shelves, the side and back pieces. Or, can plexiglas stand up to the 400 or so degree heat in the booth?

contacted a local powder coater. Does anyone know if the plexiglas can be easily removed from the doublewides? Not the shelves, the side and back pieces. Or, can plexiglas stand up to the 400 or so degree heat in the booth?

400° f = no

Contacted a local powder coater. Does anyone know if the plexiglas can be easily removed from the doublewides? Not the shelves, the side and back pieces. Or, can plexiglas stand up to the 400 or so degree heat in the booth?

Yes, it comes out quite easily. Remove the blots inside the top (where the light kit goes) and gently lift the whole top section. You have have to tap it out with a rubber mallet...Plexi is held in by the inside post pieces that have the shelf pegs. cake man. Powdercoat it if you want long lasting results. Paint can be cool, but also will be easier to scratch and chip. You can also do an engine turn pattern on the bare aluminum, then powdercoat it in a candy finish so you see that pattern. could be badass! I am looking to turn one into a custom reef tank myself. Brainstormed the idea the other night, now to find a beat up tower missing the doors and plexi...Then to have a custom made tank fitted to it and look as if it were supposed to be in there and flush like the plexi was that came in it!

Yes, it comes out quite easily. Remove the blots inside the top (where the light kit goes) and gently lift the whole top section. You have have to tap it out with a rubber mallet...Plexi is held in by the inside post pieces that have the shelf pegs. cake man. Powdercoat it if you want long lasting results. Paint can be cool, but also will be easier to scratch and chip. You can also do an engine turn pattern on the bare aluminum, then powdercoat it in a candy finish so you see that pattern. could be badass! I am looking to turn one into a custom reef tank myself. Brainstormed the idea the other night, now to find a beat up tower missing the doors and plexi...Then to have a custom made tank fitted to it and look as if it were supposed to be in there and flush like the plexi was that came in it!

It's way too early for me to comprehend all of that but it sounds positive. I look forward to waking up and seeing if this is doable for me.

If you ever do the reef tank, PICTURES!!!

@ drchop - so what you're saying is, if I remove these 8 bolts (the 4 highlighted and 4 on the other side) I can just pull the the assembly that holds the plexi out of the frame of the doublewide? Then once its out, I can pull the plexi out of that and get it all powdercoated?

2012-11-15162126-1.jpg

Back