1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Luis

Luis Oakley Enthusiast

I am wondering if Oakley has ever brought back to life an item that has long been discontinued. Have they ever or has there been rumors of them thinking of doing anything remotely similar?

If so, what is the likelihood of us ever seen re issues of X-Metal frames, Over the Top, Medusa, etc. Any chance?

That would be a great way for collectors not able or willing to pay the high prices those items demand to add them to their collection. They could do variations of course to differentiate from the originals. Bad idea?

Sorry if this has been posted before. Search didn't bring anything up.

Thanks

Last edited: 7/7/14
    mercat likes this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Nil on the first two. The X-Metal factory that housed the titanium casting furnace is closed and gone. I believe it was stated the OTT mold was destroyed after the Olympic Gold, Silver, Bronze pairs were made.

Medusa? I just plain doubt.

The did revive the E- and T-Wires last year. And the Razor Blade has made a reappearance three times now I think. Eyeshade has been back twice. All for limited collector runs on the last 2.

3. Luis

Luis Oakley Enthusiast

Thanks, I did not know that. If the molds of the OTT were destroyed, can't they make new ones? Just wondering.

4. mercat

mercat Oakley Enthusiast

I agree with Luis there..I hope they re-release the X-metals just even once so that prices would go down especially in ebay where the prices are outrageous..

5. Patient_Cero

Patient_Cero Oakley Collector

Technically the Frogskins have and it not so permanent aspects so have the razor blades and now the Eyeshade.

6. Luis

Luis Oakley Enthusiast

Exactly, $1,600 for an Infinite Hero Juliet in eBay. Ridiculous.

mercat likes this.
  7. mercat

mercat Oakley Enthusiast

even coins, boxes, rubbers and display materials are being sold for high prices..

Luis likes this.
  8. Luis

Luis Oakley Enthusiast

$500 for the 1 Icon coin.

9. Malv1

Malv1 Oakley Collector

This has been a problem for a while and even if new ones were to be released, the scavengers on ebay and HERE would still do it... The part that pisses me off is those glasses on ebay NEVER sell for those prices yet people then see those prices being asked and think that is what they are worth.

That is mostly the reason I haven't been very active here, a lot of that crowd of scalpers and profiteers have shown up and acted as though they are interested in being a part of the forum... I know the base of members and the direction the site has gone has been the reason for many of the older members not being here any longer. It will eventually die back down but it will be a while before these hacks realize the glasses they have aren't worth 10 or 20 times what they paid for them.

Ok, end rant and sorry if I jacked the thread in the process :)

10. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

I hope they never bring back X Metals! Lux would never put the effort and quality that Jim did into this line, so we would only be getting a poor copy that would cheapen the original. If you think that Lux would ever spend the money to do those things right, you don't know how they operate that well.