• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hell Froze Over - I Bought A Radarlock. Impressions, Questions

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
Yeah, I finally broke down and got another pair from the Radar line. I originally had a matte black Radar, which I had Range lenses for (and a Pitch in persimmon). I also owned a crystal red Radar XL Blade. I sold both for various reasons (mainly they just didn't feel solid and the M Frame remained the better pair).

Then the Radarlock comes out. People say it's more comfortable than the Radar, that it's easier to change lenses, that it's the cat's piss. And I'll admit, I've parroted these reviews to a certain degree, having not had one in hand and taking you all at your word.

First and foremost: WHY DOES THE RIGHT TEMPLE NOT OPEN? It's hinged. It's a separate piece, just like the left temple. But it's fixed. I think?

Is it me, or is it even MORE wobbly and creaky than the Radar?

Can someone tell me how to change the lens without getting fingerprints all over it? More importantly put the lens back in. Right now I'm seeing something like...

Step 1, hold the lens in the center of the left eye..... ok, that didn't start off great. Step 2, hook the right temple. Step 3, mash your thumbs into the lens to get the nose snapped on. Step 4, close temple. Step 5, take a minute to clean the lens.

Are they going to offer a bigger lens? The Pitch doesn't have enough coverage. They're too short to fully cover my orbital, so that precludes them from use in a lot of my "sports".

These are SH*T. But gosh, they do look good. Please, please give me a bigger lens for them!

It is more creakey, but when you look at what it is, there are way more points of contact to be creaky. When on my face, they make no noises, when in my display, they are silent. So creaky means zilch to me lol. There is no point in the right side hinging which also addresses this next topic of how to swap lenses and do it without prints. Step 1, make sure your bag is handy. Step 2, fold int he left arm and disengage the lock part of the frame by sliding the black switch to the rear. Step 3, open the frame. Step 4, holding the lens with whatever hand ins comfortable to you (and using the bag that was handy) then pinch the nose to unseat the lens. Step 5, slide the lens to the left, and viola! You have successfully removed the lens WITHOUT prints, installation is the reverse.

It is more wobbly again because it is not quite as solid due to the open points all over the frame. They do have a radarlock XL, so if you need larger, there you go haha. I still like them better than my old M Frame for a safety glass because to me on my big dome, they fit well. I don't wear shield frames for any other purpose, and this is best fitted for me with a Path Clear lens.

As for the squeaks and cerakote, Most go away with paint or cerakote, but generally they all go away with wear.

The XL extends upward. At least it did with the Radar(sans-lock). I had Pitch and XL and they were equal below the nose. Well, the XL was a "Blade" so it was a bit more boxy at the bottom corners. The Range was only a tiny amount bigger, but it addressed the coverage at the periperal. All of the Radar/Lock lenses leave a large gap at the bottom, and fail several tests for PPE on my face.

Yeah, they're silent when they're sitting still. But I tend to adjust my glasses a lot when they're on my face.

First and foremost: WHY DOES THE RIGHT TEMPLE NOT OPEN? It's hinged. It's a separate piece, just like the left temple. But it's fixed. I think?

Can't find the source but they addressed this once. Basically thought it wasn't necessary, and when you think about it, it's true. It'd just add more complexity to swapping although I would've straight up made the right side a single mold, and forget the seams existing for what I guess is style's sake.

Is it me, or is it even MORE wobbly and creaky than the Radar?

Can't comment on wobbly, but creaks vary from pair to pair. My silver and now custom ones by Chop, silent. My Matte Heather Grey ones, creaked in the beginning. It never came about while the pair was worn though like you mentioned. Ironically the Radarlock is the one adjustment-free pair for me.

Can someone tell me how to change the lens without getting fingerprints all over it? More importantly put the lens back in.

1)hold left side by edges and insert into the right temple and rim.
2)move your top finger to the top of the frame, so now you're holding it all in place. Push+squeeze the nosepiece from behind.
3)close Switchlock mech.

I originally thought 3) should go before 2) as it'd be easier since the lens is held in place beforehand. I don't see a real reason why not, other than the lens is momentarily subjected to a bit of pressure. Removal for me is nose and then Switchlock.

Part of this is just practice. Slower, but arguably is a more robust interface overall than the M-Frame and Radar because the lens can't go anywhere even with the nose not engaged...unless the glasses came off your head, and the Switchlock mech was flipped by black magic.

Are they going to offer a bigger lens? The Pitch doesn't have enough coverage. They're too short to fully cover my orbital, so that precludes them from use in a lot of my "sports".

There was that sighting of a possible Heater/Range shape. I thought you were going to ask Oakley about it?

I never contacted Oakley. We have enough people with the inside track.

You want it? Matte heather gray, black iridium non-vented pitch. No scratches, just lots of finger prints.

I was going to wait and see if a new shape popped up in the next few months.

I use a microbag to take the lens out. I place it over the nose piece and push in so I don't leave fingerprints. I also haven't had issues with the creaking. I do agree though, not as solid feeling as the original radar or m frame, but when it's on my head, I don't notice.

tumblr_mx9i0kUlK61rbptugo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mx9i0kUlK61rbptugo2_1280.jpg

That solved my fingerprint issues.

Last edited:
Matte heather gray, black iridium non-vented pitch. No scratches, just lots of finger prints.

Seriously speaking, already got that color frame and am a Path (vented at that) guy.

Maybe if you still have it down the road and still hate it like the plague I'd go for it.

But otherwise, I'd suggest letting it grow on you. People claim there's a degree of compatibility with a Radar lens, so maybe play with that idea using a Range lens. Might turn out real well if you can figure out a way to swap the nose pieces.

A bunch of good points being made. I love my radar/radarlocks personally. I do like my 2 frames as well but I guess its a personal preference thing.

Back