• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help Cant get new lens to close on pennys

\

Sigh Too late
Oh well
I sent an email a few days ago
Looks like i may be getting out the sandpaper

Hi there, is this the same person named Greg M I received an email yesterday? I have checked my files and there was only 1 time you bought from me, it was a Penny ruby iridium pair dated 10th July 2014.

Initially I would suggest to try to fit the edges of the lenses into the curve where the lens on the frame should fit. See if it will do the trick but if you can send me pictures of the problem I may assist you better. Although I can tell you how to trim it but if you trim it incorrectly it will be your risk if you made a mistake.

Let me know if this is the same person and we can talk privately and avoid me responding 2-3 times for 1 topic. Normally if the lenses are too big I can easily correct them by trimming but would require your frame to ensure perfect fitment second time around.

Thanks.

Hi there, is this the same person named Greg M I received an email yesterday? I have checked my files and there was only 1 time you bought from me, it was a Penny ruby iridium pair dated 10th July 2014.

Initially I would suggest to try to fit the edges of the lenses into the curve where the lens on the frame should fit. See if it will do the trick but if you can send me pictures of the problem I may assist you better. Although I can tell you how to trim it but if you trim it incorrectly it will be your risk if you made a mistake.

Let me know if this is the same person and we can talk privately and avoid me responding 2-3 times for 1 topic. Normally if the lenses are too big I can easily correct them by trimming but would require your frame to ensure perfect fitment second time around.

Thanks.

Yes
I will contact you by Email
Thanks

I will add my two cents in this thread. I have been cutting lenses for a long time now. The variations in frames has made me make some adjustments in lens cutting. This is why I have people send me there x metal frames. I have collected many templates from OEM frames and I am able to use them to make the necessary cuts to fit frames correctly. I have run into a few issues from members where they had lenses they bought from somewhere else, that were too big and I have been able to mod them without an issue. This could have been avoided if the lens was matched to the frame the first time. Then we have the lenses that are too small, other then shimming the lens orbital you can't add lens material to fix the problem.

My system for cutting lenses both Xmetal and omatter has given me positive results. I have found variations in all the xmetal frames. And it has taken me awhile to collect various templates. The issue with lenses that are just slightly too big is a problem especially if the person putting the lenses in the frame decides to crank down on the screw and tighten it up anyway. This causes the lens to buckle and warp which will distort view of the wearer.

I am a huge advocate of OEM lens modification, just make sure it's done right the first time. I am always happy to answer questions in the lounge or by pm. It's not just cutting lenses, it's bevel, edge polishing, fit, and finish that makes it a total experience.

Last edited:
Yeah i agree on you here @xmetalmaniac. I opt to make the cut right for the first time and percentage of perfect fit is very high though there are still some cases frame sizes really varies some even by a 1mm. Trying to screw down the lenses when its too big will not only distort the view but in some cases even chip the iridium coating from the overtightening the lenses.

I will be happy to remedy the issue no drama for @OakleyFreak but like yourself in some cases needs the frame. Another gut feel is that the reblasted frame added tightness on the lenses too.

The penny frame i use for the penny cut is PI and PB serialised frames

Yeah i agree on you here @xmetalmaniac. I opt to make the cut right for the first time and percentage of perfect fit is very high though there are still some cases frame sizes really varies some even by a 1mm. Trying to screw down the lenses when its too big will not only distort the view but in some cases even chip the iridium coating from the overtightening the lenses.

I will be happy to remedy the issue no drama for @OakleyFreak but like yourself in some cases needs the frame. Another gut feel is that the reblasted frame added tightness on the lenses too.

The penny frame i use for the penny cut is PI and PB serialised frames

Blasted frames actually take off material or smooth down the surface. Duracote and Ceracote add to the frame but not so much as to change the thickness of the lens orbital channel. Even when I do copper, chrome, or brass plating it adds a bit more to the frame but the lens orbital is wax covered so the plating does not get in there. @THE X-MAN should be able to chime in on this also for a bit more clarification.

Back