• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help Cant get new lens to close on pennys

Blasted frames actually take off material or smooth down the surface. Duracote and Ceracote add to the frame but not so much as to change the thickness of the lens orbital channel. Even when I do copper, chrome, or brass plating it adds a bit more to the frame but the lens orbital is wax covered so the plating does not get in there. @THE X-MAN should be able to chime in on this also for a bit more clarification.

Your pretty much spot on,except i think blasting really only changes the texture of the surface and doesnt remove material,at least on these frames anyways.

Its even worst if it remove/take off material off the frame, that will mean all cuts will be deemed smaller than the stock frame? But if @THE X-MAN says it doesn't I trust him on it. :)

Its even worst if it remove/take off material off the frame, that will mean all cuts will be deemed smaller than the stock frame? But if @THE X-MAN says it doesn't I trust him on it. :)

Avoiding the lens orbital it quite easy while doing the blast work. Direct, longer then necessary, blast pressure on anything will eventually where down the metal. However the state in whcih we finish the metal frames doest even come close to removing enough materail inside the lens orbital. Every pair I have had done has never had an issue. Skill, knowledge, and consistency allow for the right amount of touch need for each frame.

yea,
you definitely don't want to sand blast aluminum frames at 120psi.........that will disintegrate them before your eyes.

Back