1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. iverson11

iverson11 Oakley Beginner

Hello everyone, I just joined, I need your help to choose my new oakley. I state that my eyes are very sensitive to sunlight, so I would like a very dark lens to use every day and at the same time fit for the high mountains. Which lens oakley is best for this compromise?

i've seen this lens:
    vr28 black iridium polarized
    00 black iridium polarized
    fire iridium
    black iridium polarized
    ice iridium

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Rusty M

Rusty M Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

All the above are great choices. The last Two you mention are the darkest.

3. iverson11

the daily prizm are a good choice for high mountain?

4. MarsRover

MarsRover Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

Black Iridium Polarized will be the darkest of the lenses you mention, with the most even transmission across all wavelengths of light (i.e. it gives you a true color perception, doesn't accent or remove any colors noticeably). If you're gonna be in high mountains you want something that gives you coverage from all sides, I.E. lots of wrap.

Fire adds a bit of a greenish-brownish hue to things.
    Ice is pretty even, grayish when looking through like the Black Iridium
    VR28 is a much lighter lens and kind of a Rose-Brown color. It's been long held to be one of the most versatile lenses along with G30 (Polarized), but it lets more light in than Black Iridium, if that is a concern.
    Same deal with OO Black Iridium, it's got the same silvery black iridium coating, but the material underneath that (also called Base) is more of a rose brown than the standard Black Iridium.

Rose-Brown helps to increase contrast, and can help you pick out details easier when looking through them.
    Grey doesn't alter the appearance of colors, it diminishes them all evenly.

5. DG85

DG85 Oakley Enthusiast

Everything he said. But, if by 'mountains' you mean, an area covered predominately by snow, you should insist on a contrast lens to help you see details against the white and especially want a polarized lense so you can see past the glare.

6. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Regarding the lenses you mentioned:

VR28 black iridium polarized - contrast lens (VR28 base) with 10% light transmission; great all-around lens

00 black iridium polarized - also a contrast lens (G40 base) with 10% light transmission; great all-around lens. Colors are a little less rich than the VR28BIP so it tends to be personal preference which one of the two is better.

fire iridium - contrast lens (amber base) with 16% light trans (polarized version is 10% light trans). The base tint on this is controversial; some love it and some hate it.

black iridium polarized - neutral lens (grey base) with 9% light trans. Darkest of the bunch; Oakley doesn't make darker.

ice iridium - neutral lens (grey base) with 10% light trans (polarized version is 9% light trans). Really the only difference between BI/BIP and Ice/Ice Polar is the color of the iridium; the wearer's experience is almost identical.

So, if you want the darkest you can get, go with BIP. If you want to compromise on the darkness a little bit in order to get a contrast base, go with VR28BIP or OOBIP. Just realize that a contrast base will always appear to be a little brighter than a neutral base, even if the light trans % is the same.

7. rino

rino Oakley Enthusiast

Hi, i'm very sensitive about light, when i go to the sea I must use sunglasses into the water because of the glare, I know what you mean.

VR28BIP is a luminous lens but gives you a lot of protection and on the snow imho it's the best tint from the list you posted

8. tonka45

tonka45 Oakley Beginner

Anyone have any experience with the Dark Bronze lens? I have searched and cannot find an example, local stores don't have them. Was looking at the five squared Rootbeer with the dark bronze lens. Mainly will be used for driving and general wear , not sports activities. Thanks!

9. iverson11

Thank you all for the help. VR28BIP seems to be the best choice, I must only find the right frame.
    Instead the Daily Prizm how they behave with bright light? have an iridium coating? i've read the post "Oakley's new Prizm Lens Line" and some guys said that you can see your eyes through the lens and is 14% darker.

I found this info:
    Gold Iridium Polarized 9% Contrast
    Fire Iridium Polarized 10% Contrast
    VR28 Black Iridium Polarized 10% Contrast
    VR28 Gold Iridium Polarized 11% Contrast
    Dark Bronze 12% Contrast
    Titanium Iridium 10% Contrast

Black Iridium Polarized 9% neutral
    Ice Iridium Polarized 9% neutral
    Dark Grey 10% neutral
    Warm Grey 10% neutral

Last edited: 4/22/15
  10. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Yes that info is correct, though there's question whether Titanium Iridium is 10% or actually 12%, the polar being 10% instead.

And with Daily Prizm, yes the light trans is 14%. Whether or not they have iridium has been under debate; there are those at Oakley saying they do, while others (including o-review) saying they don't. My position is if they do, it's too subtle to be noticeable.

I've also found Daily Prizm to be just a little lacking in full-on bright sunlight.