• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help finding bolts for aluminum case

1/4 - 20 aluminum carriage bolts. The ones listed in the link are square shank but since they are aluminum it's a simple matter of grinding down the squared edges to make them round eliminating the need to drill out the holes in the case. I recommend placing two nuts on the end of the bolt and putting that in a drill chuck. Spin the bolt and clamp a file in a vice. The drill will rotate the bolt in the same Isis while you file down the corners. Once it is rounded you can finish off the shoulder very nicely.

http://www.aluminumfastener.com/images/catalog.pdf

Thanks for the idea. But the problem will be the actual bolt head. Hopefully they are same dimension with the original one so they will look uniform.

It's a carriage bolt. It should have a smooth convex curve just like the original. The aluminum ones polish up really nice. I've made some as well. Any markings in the head can be buffed out with 200 grit and the 000 steel wool. Mine were missing about a half dozen fasteners. They are impossible to detect by eye. The one in the middle I made. This was before I buffed it.
image.jpg

Latest Posts

Back