1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. mg428

mg428 Oakley Beginner

I could not sort this out because, for example, in the Frogskin model, the black iridium polarized looks lighter compared to standard black iridium (see the below links)

Oakley Covert Frogskins | Official Oakley Store

Oakley Polarized Frogskins | Official Oakley Store

Whereas in the Chainlink model, there are two standard black iridium variations and one polarized black iridium where one of the former looks exactly the same as the polarized, but the other has a different shade.

Oakley Chainlink | Official Oakley Store

Oakley Chainlink (Asia Fit) | Official Oakley Store

Oakley Polarized Chainlink | Official Oakley Store

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. rml0015

rml0015 Oakley Beginner

There is no noticeable difference in my experience between polarized and regular lenses. I would almost always suggest a polarized lens. That is my personal preference, but I am on the water quite a bit and its a huge help in combating glare.

3. mg428

mg428 Oakley Beginner

I must note that I have just tried to create custom Frogskin sunglasses, and there when I choose the black iridium and black iridium polarized, the color of the lens was exactly the same. Nonetheless the difference in the above links made me curious. Perhaps in reality there is a difference?

4. demitri.prometheus

demitri.prometheus Oakley Beginner

I think VLT (visible light transmission) on the polarized one is 1-2% darker than the non-polarized one because of the polarizing filter. In real world conditions, that would probably not be noticeable though.

rml0015 likes this.
  5. ajcon200

ajcon200 Oakley Collector

I think the difference in the pictures is just discrepancy with that picture. They are not lighter. Just the way that picture is. It's not a photo. Just a graphic. I remember seeing Oakley pictures of frames with bronze polorised lens that looked black, just the way the graphic is displayed. Black iridium and black iridium polorised will look almost identical looking at as an observer

rml0015 likes this.
  6. jdd32

jdd32 X Metal Workshop

There are variations with lenses as each batch is different. Especially if you compare lenses from models that were released years apart. Generally polar lenses are slightly darker but I have some BI lenses that were actually darker than BIP

7. STavros

STavros Land of the Gods and ....Molon Lave

I ve noticed in some pairs that i have that grey polarized and bronze polarized look lighter than the non polarized versions

8. Dieseltech

Dieseltech Oakley Expert Premium Member

I think they would be the same. My opinion I would always pick the polarized lense first.

9. JoshAD330

JoshAD330 Oakley Enthusiast

I agree. I have both sets of lenses and they look the same to me. The polarized lenses of course give you better protection against glare. However, in the case of Polarized Black Iridium lenses the extra reduction in light transmission you get compared to regular non polarized black iridium lenses is only 1% That is, 10% Light Transmission for non polarized Black Iridium vs 9% light transmission for Polarized Black Iridium. For most people this may not be a big deal but for my super sensitive eyes that 1% difference is important so I always prefer polarized. :)

10. Dennis Panlilio

Dennis Panlilio Oakley Expert Premium Member

If you are referring to Oakley's Custom Page...the images there are just 3D renderings and not actual photos. In my experience the color and appearance for lens color variants of Polarized and Non-Polarized are the same. This is why some members get confused when there is no "Polarized" etch on the lens. The only way they can tell if it's polarized is when they test the lens against an LCD Screen.